Shipping a Mac Pro, do I need to take out the hard drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JohnMcEnroe, Feb 19, 2010.

1. JohnMcEnroe macrumors newbie

I am going to be fedexing my Mac Pro tower from Vancouver to New York. I have the original box and I am sure that will be strong enough to protect the computer seeing as that is what it was shipped in.

I am wondering if I will need to take the hard drives out of the computer to be extra safe? What are the chances that the drives will be damaged during shipping? I will of course have everything backed up on external drives that I will be carrying on the plane.

Any advice is much appreciated!

2. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Pretty close to **** all.

You should have a off machine backup of the machine anyway so with that I'd just let all four hard disks go with it!

3. beaker7 macrumors 6502a

It also was shipped to you with the hard drives installed.

I'd just have a backup and let it ship. It is a good practice though to open it up before you start it again and make sure all cards and drives are seated properly. Video cards especially can become loose in shipping.

4. JohnMcEnroe thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for the input guys. I assumed it would be fine, but a friend of mine told me to make sure I took them out so I wanted a second opinion.

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

If Apple ships them with hard drives in, what made you think it was unsafe? The original box is perfectly adequate for preventing damage to a stationary disk. :p