Shipping a mac pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by daverso, Dec 13, 2009.

1. daverso macrumors regular

Hey everyone. Just need a bit of advice. I'm shipping a mac pro from Atlanta, Georgia to Auckland, New Zealand. Apple shipped the computer in its box, do you think this is safe for international shipping or should I put another box around it?

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I'd put the original apple box inside a regular shipping box. Just in case some curious worker sees that it's apple and decides to break it or steal it :]

4. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

I'm calling BS. Apple doesn't ship anything in white retail Apple-logo boxes. They ship everything in brown non-descript packaging, and inside this brown non-descript packaging is your shiny white apple-logo retail box. They do this precisely to prevent some "curious worker" or anyone else from noticing that it contains a very expensive apple product.

Make sure you're international shipment is insured for the full replacement amount against loss or damage.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My Mac Pro was shipped in the retail box.

And please give some courtesy to delivery folks. Your neighbors are just as likely to steal it from your door step. :rolleyes:

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Sorry but that's not right. Unfortunately.

-PowerMac G5, shipped from Ireland to Germany -> Black retail box
    -Cinema Display 30", shipped from the Netherlands to Germany -> Black retail box
    -MacPro, shipped from Ireland to the UK -> White retail box

That said, all of the delivery guys saw directly what's in the box and in case of the white box of the MacPro, the box itself doesn't look very nice after shipping (plane and truck).

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

And this is why there's a "newbie" title under your name...Apple DOES ship Mac Pros in white retail boxes. Curious workers are what prosecution, termination, surveillance cameras, and insurance are for.

8. macsarethebest macrumors regular

hey chill! hes probaly only had an iPod shipped to him, and those are in brown boxes. :D but i would put another box around the mac, definitely safer.

9. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

^^^^Yup. MacPro + Apple cinema display all shipped in retail boxes. If you think about it, esp the MP line--most of the models are online/phone only anyway. If the existing box couldn't be used for shipping, it would be pretty foolish of them...:eek:

10. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Since the OP is shipping from the US internationally Op needs to do a customs declaration so anyone who can read english will know what is inside anyway.

For protection, I would put your mac pro inside another plain brown box and line it the recycled peanuts or recycled foam.

11. daverso thread starter macrumors regular

No kidding, it takes a bit of the joy opening your new mac when the box looks like hell.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Shipping costs tend to go up pretty astronomically as the box gets bigger, which is why I imagine apple ships in the retail boxes in this case. So, since the price goes up so much if I put an even bigger box around it I'll probabbly just go with the old brown paper wrap. But you are correct about the customs, anyone with eyes can read the invoice and see exactly what's inside and exactly how much it costs.

12. Rendergroup macrumors member

Rendergroup

Does anyone have the dimensions of the MBP original box?
    I need the size for re-shipping a MAC

Thanks

13. Transporteur macrumors 68030

There are lot's of MacBook Pros. You should specify which model you've got.

14. Rendergroup macrumors member

Rendergroup

I'm planing to get a:
    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and I need to know the shipping box dimensions to resend that to other state,I need this info to calculate the S&H (UPS or Fedex).

15. yiyopr macrumors member

I sold my Mac Pro on ebay just last week and I just sent it in the retail box but I also added some brown paper wrap as to avoid curious eyes. Shipping these computers cost a fortune!!!!!!!!!!