shipping a macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by irun5k, Feb 16, 2009.

1. irun5k macrumors 6502

I have a 1st gen white 13" Macbook that I need to ship to myself for when I arrive at the other end of a trip. I have the original retail box- do you think it is sufficient just to wrap this up in brown paper and ship it?

I did have an Apple Care return box that I had saved for a while but eventually threw away. Dang it! But, I think it was only about as thick as the original box anyway.

Anyway, for some reason I'm really bad at knowing how well to pack things, so your help is appreciated.

TIA

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

When apple ships the notebooks, they put that box, inside another brown box with foam corner padding I believe. I for one, wouldn't want to ship a macbook in the retail box just out of fear that it will be stolen in transit.

I'd wrap the retail box in bubble wrap, and put it in a larger, plain brown box.

3. CobyL macrumors newbie

Yes, I agree with the last poster. I had Apple do some work on my Macbook, and they packed it VERY well, with 1-2" foam inserts surrounding the computer on ALL sides. Shipping in the original package is probably not a great idea imo.

4. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I think of their original packaging as just to hold all the stuff together. It isn't packaging in the sense of sturdy, thick, and ready to ship stuff. I wouldn't ship it in just the original packaging and I would do exactly what the previous poster said.