Shipping a MBP - where to start?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sonicrobby, Sep 14, 2013.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Hey guys!

Ive been trying to sell my second rMBP locally on craigslist, but there seems to be no buyer for it. I would like to post it on ebay, but I literally have 0 knowledge of how to ship anything. I dont even have the original box to keep it safe.

So what do I do? Do I have to go to some place to buy boxes and packing peanuts and pack it myself? How will I know when it is truly safe? Is there any kind of place that determines my shipping needs and safely packs it up for me?

Any kind of pointers will help! :]

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

A USPS box large enough and lots of bubble wrap (USPS, Walmart) should be good enough. Don't skimp out on the bubble wrap, it should be at least the thickness of the computer, if not lots more. Get a tracking number and insurance. The people at USPS/UPS/FedEx ( or whatever carrier you prefer) should be helpful if you ask them the proper way to ship.

3. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Thanks! Ill probably do about 6 inches of bubble wrap on all sides just to be safe.

In general, how does the insurance work? is it a percentage of the package value? or is it a flat rate?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is going to be based on the package value. Also, just be aware in some cases (I think UPS is like this) the insurance won't cover it if you pack the item yourself since they have no way of knowing if you packed it properly.

It will cost a bit more, but you may be better off taking it to a local UPS or Fedex store and just paying them to bubble it up and pack it.

5. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Well that does seem like an easier option, I may do this instead. To be honest I wasnt even sure if they did that, glad to know they do! :D

Thanks so much for the replies!