Shipping by June 19th - Question can it be done ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richxps, Jun 10, 2009.

1. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

I bet that thousands of people pre ordered. Do you really think the shipping company can handle that many shipments for the 19th ? Or will people get them before that ?

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Like most Apple shipments, it will probably go via FedEx. I think they have a little bit of experience handling packages, at least that's the rumors I've heard ;)

3. racers macrumors regular

yes it can be done

4. richxps thread starter macrumors 65816

richxps

yea but say my area alone could have a few thousand how many fedex guys do u need to go from door to door just for iphones LOL..

I guess im just thinking about it to much, i just hope i get my on the 19th.

Thanks all.

5. racers macrumors regular

it doesn't take that long to deliver a package

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

FedEX/UPS handles a 'bajillion' packages around the holidays and has two iPhone launches under the belt. The majority probably won't have it shipped to their house because the majority could care less about having it on the 19th. They will easily stroll into the store a few weeks after the frenzy has died down.

7. dagomike macrumors 65816

Can't be any worse than the last delivery day before Christmas.

It would be interesting though to know the logistics of this.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The word 'insane' comes to mind.

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I wonder if Apple will start sending them out a day or so early but have local FedEx facilities hold them for a few days before loading them onto the final trucks for delivery.

10. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Amazon did it with the last couple Harry Potter books without issues. I am sure there were more of those sold than iPhone 3G Ss (is that the plural of 3G S??)

11. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

If you pay them, they tend to accommodate your needs. It's not like Apple is having interns run over to the local Fedex drop off box on the 18th with millions of phones.

Edit: And yes, they do hold the packages, so even though Fedex has them, they will make sure they are delivered precisely on the 19th.

12. BMac702 macrumors regular

Im torn between ordering it and waiting in line. I am thinking about ordering it but while they say it'll come the 19th, it may be at like 4pm due to all the orders. Ive waited in line the past 2 years and idk, call me a loser, but theres something satisfying about waiting a few hours in line with some friends (yes i bring them with me:p) and being one of the first in the world to have the most powerful iPhone yet:D

13. racers macrumors regular

I say waiting in line is more fun than sitting around waiting for your phone to come

14. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

I placed my order on the Apple site and was informed it would be delivered on the 24th, but then got an email yesterday:

Thank you for your recent iPhone 3G S purchase at the Apple Online Store.

Due to a technical error, we communicated an incorrect delivery date.

We want to assure you that your iPhone 3G S will deliver on June 19th. You can
    track the status of your order at <www.apple.com/orderstatus>.

ON the 19th, Yippee!

15. BMac702 macrumors regular

Me too:) thats why its what i'm probably going to do.

16. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I know from my friend at FedEx, they are very organized and efficent. There is no way it is worse than X-Mas. They probably will have a planned route and drop them off like mail-men.

They also have the equiptment for this. They have the 2nd largest fleet of airplanes in the world. 2nd only to American Airlines.

17. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Waiting in line is fun?

Yeah, no thanks. I waited in line last year only to NOT get the model I wanted. I ordered mine from Apple.com and will have it sent to my job, so I don't have to wait like a kid on Christmas watching the clock to get home.

18. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

It's much easier waiting for your phone to come when you're stuck at work anyways.

19. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Where are the stock piles of iphone 3gs's kept? Taking distances into account, how do they ensure each package get to its destination on the 19th? Would they have to strategically plan when they ship each one based on it's location? That doesnt make any sense...

20. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

exactly....come on people, FedEx can handle the goods...

21. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It's no differant than ordering clothes online. As long as I order them before noon and I choose next day delivery, I get them the next day. It always works. Don't worry, they promise the 19th, the phones will be there.

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

http://www.upslogisticstech.com/
    http://fedex.com/us/supplychain/main/

UPS/Fedex have warehouses all over the...well..all over the world. For all we know Apple is handing over 3G 's over to couriers as orders come in and they are being held by FedEx. Regional hubs will be more likely.

They will not stockpile them in california and disperse them overnight from california on the 18th. That would be impossible. And stupid.

I guess the takaway from this would be that the iPhone isn't as important as Apple would have some of you believe. Everyone on your block IS NOT getting a new phone next friday. Large metro areas may have large quantities especially taking into Apple/ATT stores (and I guess WalMart for rural areas ;) ) but this release will not "break the system".

23. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

+1. Only sad that I'll have to wait to activate it at home.

24. tritonj macrumors 6502a

this is all very simple, FedEx and UPS have distro centers everywhere, packages get shipped there. and from there they get sorted out.

companies like Dell, HP, Apple, etc usually will have space in these warehouses already for parts repairs, so they can make those 4 hour warranty response times

so trying to get product out to stores on a certain date is not a big deal. short of natural disaster where roads are taken out, products will make it on time to their destination.

it really isn't all that difficult

25. efyou macrumors regular

there are apple warehouses and when they need to send something a label is applied to your order for fedex which has your address, name etc along with all kinds of routing info (if you ever look at the other stuff on those labels, all that stuff on there is routing info) that info determines which fedex station your box goes to.. and off it goes. then it gets sorted at the fedex station to the driver that will be in your zip code.