Shipping by UPS or FedEx?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Benenstein, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Benenstein macrumors regular

I'm curious; does Apple normally ship by UPS or FedEx? My MacBook was shipped by UPS, but my friends was shipped by FedEx. Also, is it possible to hold the iPhone at a local UPS/FedEx location instead of delivering it to the address on the order?

Thanks guy.

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

3. Benenstein thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, thanks. I suppose it's a hit or miss with which one you'll get I suppose.

4. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Ya, a few weeks ago someone was trying to gauge which shipping company his phone would come on. No pattern really..it's just the luck of the draw..

5. TaylorB macrumors regular

You are able to request these things and even change the shipping address mid ship (for a small fee.) FedEx has a product called FedEx Delivery Manager where this is possible, UPS has a similar product as well.

6. Benenstein thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome, thanks. At this point, I think I will change my shipping address with UPS/FedEx and pay a fee. Apple is almost unreachable at this point in time.

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Apple usually doesn't allow preorders to be held for pickup.

8. Benenstein thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Once it's shipped and is with UPS/FedEx, wouldn't it up to their discretion?

9. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Nope. You won't be able to pick it up. Strict guidelines given by Apple. Its been like this for years

10. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

Never gotten anything from Apple with UPS. It has always been FedEx.

11. Benenstein thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that's...unfortunate. It also kind of a downfall to the consumer as well.

12. LasersGoPewPew macrumors regular

LasersGoPewPew

My last iPhone was delivered by FedEx at around 8am or so.

13. Benenstein thread starter macrumors regular

So I assume if Apple doesn't allow for a product to be held at a local UPS/FedEx office, they also don't allow the address to be changed after the product has been shipped?

14. satchow macrumors 6502

I had UPS hold my iPhone 5s for pick up and got it when their doors opened at 9am last year.

15. Benenstein thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, I'm so confused. I guess I'll try and see what happens.

16. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

It was fun tracking the 5. 2 stops in China,Taipei,Japan,Alaska,Memphis, and home. FEDEX.

17. Benenstein thread starter macrumors regular

The shipping is FAST when it comes from out of the country! My previous phone was at my door within 2 days once it shipped from China.

----------

So I was just told this by an Apple rep:

[​IMG]

18. bobright macrumors 601

I hope mine is shipped through FedEx it usually is. I get my phone right at lunch.

19. theshirlgirl macrumors member

I've been able to have previous iPads held for pickup on launch day. Frankly, you need to show ID for the pickup so it's pretty secure. My local Fedex have left multiple signature-only packages on my doorstep without my signature (but with signatures from people I've never heard of). I don't tend to find them reliable at all. Different story with my local UPS, hopefully that's who I'll get!

All that said, Apple can make their own agreements with FedEx and UPS. But not allowing you to pickup directly (at launch day or later) doesn't serve much purpose for them.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Nope, Apple can dictate the rules to the Carrier. If the Carrier breaks the rules and a phone goes missing, the Carrier eats it. They will be quite careful.

----------

Once you phone is shipped and you have a tracking number you can call the carrier and have them hold the box at the terminal for you to come and sign and pickup. Aplle will allow this, but sometimes ONLY after the first delivery attempt.

21. Jazper macrumors 6502a

For me at least, all Apple products I've ever bought have shipped via UPS, I presume it slightly depends on your area.

22. Rajani Isa, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014

Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

They're more likely to allow it to be held due to the ID needed. I think the rerouting is denied for security reasons.

And for me, it's always been FedEx, about 3 minutes after I leave for work (I'd see them exiting the freeway as I got on).

23. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Will either UPS or Fedex only allow for me to sign or can I have my neighbor sign for me?

24. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I've always had it shipped through Fed EX, and I hope it is this time, because they deliver around 10am to my house and UPS doesn't come till 7pm.

25. nyc2pdx macrumors 6502

Always been Fedex for Apple products with the exception of my iPhone's which have always come UPS. And I was able to have it held at a ups store.