Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Ok so I just got home to my new Quad and fount that it was damaged. The pictures on eBay weren't very clear so I assumed that the damage was previous. I found the sellers website and the case isn't damaged!!! I am extremely angry and have no idea what to do.... There's pics of the damage in my other thread... I just left a message on the seller's website and hopefully this gets resolved.... Here's a pic of the Quad from the seller.....There are pics of the damage from my other thread

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    504.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Contact the seller and have them file a claim with the shipping company, which is likely UPS with that type of damage. If the seller is deemed responsible for not packing it well enough, then the damages would need to come out of their pocket. Technically, the seller is responsible for dealing with them as they contracted them to get it from their location to yours with zero damage.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
It was through fedex and the seller did a horrible job packaging it. Seems to me like it was dropped or set down really hard since the damage occurred on the top of the machine. Would I have to ship it back and pay for it?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It was through fedex and the seller did a horrible job packaging it. Seems to me like it was dropped or set down really hard since the damage occurred on the top of the machine. Would I have to ship it back and pay for it?

No. You would then argue that you were sold a fully working Quad in decent condition with no warping or bends in the case. You received a Quad with a case in extremely poor condition. They failed to package the Quad for what a big machine like that needs. FedEx will likely not pay a claim due to their lackluster packing job so it is all on their dime.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Ok thanks so much for your help! There are a few possibilities that could happen right now so I'm holding off on buying the parts that I need

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Ok thanks so much for your help! There are a few possibilities that could happen right now so I'm holding off on buying the parts that I need
Many sellers wouldn't have you ship it back, they would just give a partial refund and let you keep the computer.

That's what I did the first time I sold one of these. I had packed and shipped many heavy things before, but G5s and Mac proud are something else when it comes to shipping, and it was damaged. Now I use massive boxes, 65 feet of bubble wrap, and a recycling bin of newspaper.

They tend to arrive intact..

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
You need to stress to the seller and to FedEx that the PowermacG5 casing was created to work as a heatsink, and it was created to sit upright with no wobble. Once a PMG5 starts up, if the case is bent in any way, it causes wobble, which interferes with the proper functioning of the machine and the movement in and of itself can cause more damage to the hard drive, optical drive and logic board by stressing out its components.

Tell the shipper you need reimbursement for a new outer casing, plus labor. This should exceed the cost of the Quad.

If the seller shipped without full insurance and packed it improperly, then the seller should reimburse you. If you went through an online money payment system then start a claim with them.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
You need to stress to the seller and to FedEx that the PowermacG5 casing was created to work as a heatsink, and it was created to sit upright with no wobble. Once a PMG5 starts up, if the case is bent in any way, it causes wobble, which interferes with the proper functioning of the machine and the movement in and of itself can cause more damage to the hard drive, optical drive and logic board by stressing out its components.

And you people need to look at the picture to see the "damage" which as far as I can see is wear/scuffing on the casing not bent legs like you see on most of these machines with actual damage from shipping. While the wear/scuffing may not be pleasant for some to look at I would hardly call it damage to the casing. In other words build a bridge and get over it if the OP wanted perfection he should have bought from Apple new when they were available.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
And you people need to look at the picture to see the "damage" which as far as I can see is wear/scuffing on the casing not bent legs like you see on most of these machines with actual damage from shipping. While the wear/scuffing may not be pleasant for some to look at I would hardly call it damage to the casing. In other words build a bridge and get over it if the OP wanted perfection he should have bought from Apple new when they were available.
That's not the issue about cosmetics, I really don't care if it's bent, I will however if the drop caused damage to the internal components. And it is clearly bent, the river popped out of the case.. Seriously don't post things like this if you don't realize the problem in the first place

Reactions: Altemose

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004

I actually didn't look at the photo he posted, you're right. But I have had an entire PMG5 case replaced under a UPS claim back in the day because of shipping damage to the legs. Powermacs (or silver Mac Pros) were made to stand upright with no wobble or shaking or movement due to uneven or bent legs. Eventually, the logic board and especially the water cooled CPUs will get damaged due to all of the shaking. The one I had literally "moved" when turned on because the fans created such movement on the unevenly balanced outer casing.

That's not the issue about cosmetics, I really don't care if it's bent, I will however if the drop caused damage to the internal components. And it is clearly bent, the river popped out of the case.. Seriously don't post things like this if you don't realize the problem in the first place

Where is a photo of the popped rivets out of the casing?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
When @California shipped my Quad to me back in June(I think) she took it to the UPS store to be packed. They wrapped it in a LOT of bubble wrap, used a hugely oversized box, and cushioned the whole thing in bubble wrap.

It cost a fair chunk of change(more than I paid her for the computer!) and took me probably 20 minutes to unpack, but it was completely unscathed.

Keaton did a similar thing when he shipped my Mac Pro to me, and it also arrived safely.

Even though having things professionally packed is expensive(I think the Quad was around $100 including shipping, and the MP a little cheaper because the distance was shorter) to me it was well worth it.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
In other words build a bridge and get over it if the OP wanted perfection he should have bought from Apple new when they were available.

Nice thought, but at least speaking for myself when these were still current I was a freshman in college working a part time job that paid about $75/week.

"Perfection" isn't the issue here. Getting what you paid for whole and undamaged is the issue, and the age of something really is irrelevant.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I actually didn't look at the photo he posted, you're right. But I have had an entire PMG5 case replaced under a UPS claim back in the day because of shipping damage to the legs. Powermacs (or silver Mac Pros) were made to stand upright with no wobble or shaking or movement due to uneven or bent legs. Eventually, the logic board and especially the water cooled CPUs will get damaged due to all of the shaking. The one I had literally "moved" when turned on because the fans created such movement on the unevenly balanced outer casing.

Where is a photo of the popped rivets out of the casing?
Here
7a6963dd7ad41306439f0a2e59d09e9e.jpg

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada

Really perhaps you should post a picture showing the actual problem then and you would not get response telling you you are being stupid for in the one you posted that is cosmetic.

Edit: I see now you have posted one that shows it and indeed that is real damage I would in that case file a claim.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I did post a picture in the first post on this thread I clearly said that I posted pictures of the damages in my other thread

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I did post a picture in the first post on this thread I clearly said that I posted pictures of the damages in my other thread

It doesn't matter whether the damage is deemed cosmetic, detrimental or critical - you've bought an item you are not happy with, the onus is on the seller to put things right. I would either ask for a replacement (if possible) or a full refund - a partial refund always seems a bit suspicious in my opinion.
Wait for their reply - you may be getting worried over nothing - they may be conscientious and eager to avoid their reputation being damaged (I'm assuming the seller is a trader?)

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I called the seller for the quad and got a 30$ refund contingent upon whether or not it works with the parts that I order. The original price was 150$ I made an offer for 125$ and got it and now I'm getting 30$ off so I'm looking at 90$ for a supposedly working quad which isn't too bad.. So now I've got a bit more money to spend on paets

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It was through fedex and the seller did a horrible job packaging it. Seems to me like it was dropped or set down really hard since the damage occurred on the top of the machine.
I worked for United Parcel Service for seven years from August 1992 to September 1999 (met my wife there). I never worked for FedEx, but there are certain standards that most shipping companies have to follow simply because of the way things are shipped.

This is pure speculation, but I have no doubt I'm right. Whether your Mac went by air or ground I'm willing to bet that whomever loaded it felt the weight and went with it. When they train you to load both air containers (L9, A2, M1) or a trailer they tell you "heavy stuff on the bottom". So, you start with the heavy stuff as the basis of your 'wall' and you build the wall on that foundation. Once you've built up you start on the next wall forward of the previous wall.

Whomever loaded this was probably unaware that there was a computer inside. It was heavy, it was large so they put it down first and stacked everything else on top of it. If it had been packed correctly to begin with this would not have been a problem, but with packages stacked on top of it, your Quad bore the weight of all those packages on top of it. An M1 container is larger and taller than an A2, which is larger and taller than an L9. A trailer is of course larger and taller than all of them. So, the weight may have been more or less depending on what the Mac was loaded into.

Additionally, packages rarely come down the belts at a leisurely pace. Usually it's a ********* and you're loading like a maniac trying to keep up. Sometimes that means packages that should have been put on the floor get dumped on top. Sometimes it means throwing packages in order to keep up. You sort it out later when the crush clears. Also, while UPS always stresses "hand to surface" and I'm sure FedEx does too, when you're unloading that rarely is the case. You'll see unloaders throwing packages on to the slides because it's just easier.

I know this is not a resolution to your problem but maybe understanding the process might help somewhat.

Last edited:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I worked for United Parcel Service for seven years from August 1992 to September 1999 (met my wife there). I never worked for FedEx, but there are certain standards that most shipping companies have to follow simply because of the way things are shipped.

This is pure speculation, but I have no doubt I'm right. Whether your Mac went by air or ground I'm willing to bet that whomever loaded it felt the weight and went with it. When they train you to load both air containers (L9, A2, M1) or a trailer they tell you "heavy stuff on the bottom". So, you start with the heavy stuff as the basis of your 'wall' and you build the wall on that foundation. Once you've built up you start on the next wall forward of the previous wall.

Whomever loaded this was probably unaware that there was a computer inside. It was heavy, it was large so they put it down first and stacked everything else on top of it. If it had been packed correctly to begin with this would not have been a problem, but with packages stacked on top of it, your Quad bore the weight of all those packages on top of it. An M1 container is larger and taller than an A2, which is larger and taller than an L9. A trailer is of course larger and taller than all of them. So, the weight may have been more or less depending on what the Mac was loaded into.

Additionally, packages rarely come down the belts at a leisurely pace. Usually it's a ********* and you're loading like a maniac trying to keep up. Sometimes that means packages that should have been put on the floor get dumped on top. Sometimes it means throwing packages in order to keep up. You sort it out later when the crush clears. Also, while UPS always stresses "hand to surface" and I'm sure FedEx does too, when you're unloading that rarely is the case. You'll see unloaders throwing packages on to the slides because it's just easier.

I know this is not a resolution to your problem but maybe understanding the process might help somewhat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.