Shipping from Canada to US - custom fees? GST?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anoobis, Jul 26, 2012.

1. anoobis macrumors member

Hi,

I just bought a used MBP from a Canadian individual. I'm stumped on what to expect from customs. As with most customs questions, the answers I've found seem murky at best.

Do all computers fall under NAFTA (and therefore do not incur import taxes)? Something I found...but could be Internet lore.

Am I going to have to pay customs fees? GST?

Are there brokerage fees from Canada to US? for Canadian Post? Pretty sure FedEx, UPS, DHL charge brokerage fees.

Hopefully some Canadians here have shipped to us Americans.

Any help appreciated

2. trikky macrumors regular

NAFTA exceptions are based on place of manufacture. The computer likely wouldn't have been made in the NAFTA zone.

You are subject to taxes and/or duties whenever you import items into your country from an international location. Sometimes you get dinged for them, sometimes you don't. Often it's just the luck of the draw.

You'll have to contact the shipper for brokerage fees. If it's shipped through the mail, you may face a relatively small admin fee of some sort, but likely not brokerage fees (it's all up to the USPS).
    [/QUOTE]
    Cheers!

3. anoobis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - yeah, the 'luck of the draw' thing is strange to me. I've had several items shipped from the UK into US and only had to pay fees once (DHL). No taxes.

So, I guess the answer still kind of remains "who knows?" I'll update this thread when I receive the MBP...