Shipping iMac 27" on ebay?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Looperted, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Looperted macrumors newbie

I sell computers quite frequently on ebay, but the majority of them are ibooks, macbooks, or some windows laptop. My father wants to sell his 2010 27" iMac, after he just purchased a 2013 iMac. (i7, 780m, 16GB Ram, 3TB fusion drive) He still has the original box and foam inserts, and I was wondering if that would be enough packaging. I had planned to wrap the box in brown paper, so it would just be a big brown box. Looking in the box, it seems like it would be protected just fine, but I'd like to know some of your opinions.

2. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I still have all the original packaging for my iMac. However, having seen videos of how couriers and the postal service treat packages, I think if it was me I would be placing something far more sturdy and secure around it.

3. Thrifty1 macrumors regular

I would not trust just the iMac box for shipping it across the country. But I'm not sure where you will find a box that the iMac box will fit inside.

If you are near a big city, you may want to try eBay and choose local pickup only to avoid the shipping risk / costs.

4. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I would place at least two additional layers of corrugated cardboard around the entire iMac box/packaging and then ship it FedEx with insurance.

If you are able to find double walled corrugated cardboard, all the better.