shipping in Europe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tex-Twil, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I am a PC user and I'm basically waiting for the MBP update to get me one and switch. I just can't wait !

I have a question about the shipping when I a MBP in the online Apple Store . I'm currently living in Germany but I'm French and I would like to have a French keyboard layout. (I know that sucks but I'm actually used to it ;) ). Even if I write more often in English than in French, it is easier to write English on a French keyboard rather that the opposite.

This is the reason why I will have to order online 'cos here in Berlin the Apple shops sells of course only Macs with a German keyboard layout.

I'm a bit worried about the delivery though. In France, when you get delivered something expensive, when the DHL/UPS .. postman comes you usually have to show your ID to get the package. If you are not at home, the guy keeps it and comes back another day.

Here in Berlin things seems to be different. If you are not at home, the guys just leave the package where they can. Usually at neighbors' but also in the bar around the corner. Of course, bartenders or neighbors won't check for your ID. Thankfully, I never got stolen anything but it happened to pple I know.

In any case I really don't want to risk it with a >2000€ package :)

So the question time now
    - which delivery company usually uses Apple in Europe ?
    - is it possible to specify on the Apple store order or on the delivery service page that it must be me me me and only me who can get the package ?
    - is it possible to go to a Apple store and ask them to order /receive it for me then pick it up ?

Thanks you for your kind help ;)

Tex

2. johnsy macrumors 6502

I don't know about Europe, but my guess is UPS, since it could be better deal for them to offer the same shipping company everywhere. As for UPS they are totally ignorant in USA. They almost don't care about any instructions. I live in a building with 2 entrances and they almost all the time deliver to the main entrance and the consequence is that I never got anything at first delivery attempt, even I was at home. How hard it is- after you enter trough main door, there is a few apartment numbers missing, there is a yard, so nobody thought about checking what is in a yard? Also I tried to redeliver a package in other place one time and got not from ups, even I gave simple instructions where to deliver.

My other suggestion is to take a vacation to France? Also as far shipping to the store might be you will be in luck, but if it is not apple store, then they afraid that it will be misplaced.

3. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

United Parcel Service? I have gotten anything from  via DHL or Royal Mail (Only if it's a cheap item), I think there's an option to pick who you want out of 3 if I remember correctly it's been a while since I have last bought from , It might be different on the continent (Main land EU) though.

Also holiday in France as johnsy said.

4. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok,
    I will in the Apple store here what they think about.

I was also thinking about a return ticket to Paris just to buy it. I should check the plane tickets. I'm sure my girlfriend would be happy to spend a weekend in Paris :) Maybe I can manage to make her pay the tickets :p

Another option would to make it deliver to my office. But it would be a torture to receive it there and have to wait all the day to unpack it :)

cheers,
    Tex