Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikechap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
First of all, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong part of the forum. I am living in South Korea and am eagerly awaiting the iPad mini 2 release. I wondered if anyone had experience that could answer my question: what would be cheaper for me? Buying 2 ipad minis (for myself and my fiance) and shipping them here from the US, or waiting for them to be released in SK and buying that a the higher South Korean price (about $100 extra each). Thanks in advance, guys.

Corey Gibson

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Morrisville NC
First of all, I apologize in advance if this is the wrong part of the forum. I am living in South Korea and am eagerly awaiting the iPad mini 2 release. I wondered if anyone had experience that could answer my question: what would be cheaper for me? Buying 2 ipad minis (for myself and my fiance) and shipping them here from the US, or waiting for them to be released in SK and buying that a the higher South Korean price (about $100 extra each). Thanks in advance, guys.

Mike,

I would say this. Unless you are purchasing from a reputable source, I would be cautious. There have been many instances where people alter the quality or internal components of devices and have sold them for the "real deal".

So I would stick to buying on the apple website (if they allow international shipping) or Amazon or a friend who is a local buyer.

To find the price, proceed through the transaction to the shipping portion (without processing your transaction) to see how much it would cost if you decide to purchase from a vendor. Either that or check with UPS to see how much you can ship for if you have a friend living in a particular part of the states.

However keep this in mind, if something goes wrong and you need to return the device, how much of a hassle will this be to save $100.

Hope this helps!

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
If you get it shipped from overseas you have added shipping cost, which may be substantial, and chip away at the "$100 savings" you get over buying local.

Returns are going to be impossible, though I suppose Apple would honor its warranty worldwide assuming they have a service depot or retail location where you are (which I don't know if they do).

Last but not least, there's customs. If customs decides to make you pay the import tax on your new iPad you will probably end up paying more than just buying local.

My advice is to buy local. $100 is not that big of a difference for peace of mind and convenience.

I know some people get their thrills from "saving" money on stuff they buy, but I prefer not to jump through hoops for an inconsequential amount of money.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Mike,

I would say this. Unless you are purchasing from a reputable source, I would be cautious. There have been many instances where people alter the quality or internal components of devices and have sold them for the "real deal".

So I would stick to buying on the apple website (if they allow international shipping) or Amazon or a friend who is a local buyer.

To find the price, proceed through the transaction to the shipping portion (without processing your transaction) to see how much it would cost if you decide to purchase from a vendor. Either that or check with UPS to see how much you can ship for if you have a friend living in a particular part of the states.

However keep this in mind, if something goes wrong and you need to return the device, how much of a hassle will this be to save $100.

Hope this helps!
Probably all of this. I would simply wait for it to be available in my country. We're talking about a luxury item, I think patience is key here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.