shipping iphone4 to another country, help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamuurme, Jul 8, 2010.

1. iamuurme macrumors newbie

hhey so i have someone in the usa where they can buy iphone 4 for me. in my countries it hasnt arrived and if it did it would be on the black market and really expensive. so my question is that:
    1. if i could tell my friends to get iphone 4 for me from the USA and it to thailand will the phone work.
    2. if he brought that phone with a sim can that sim be use with anyother phone in USA and will the company knows that he's shipping the phone to another country.
    3. what if he got caught that he didnt use the sim and ship the iphone4 to thailand that would break the agreement between him and the phone company what will happen to him? law wise

2. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

LOL man lots of questions tonight about people selling internationally and now someone trying to import!!

So umm,... do you really have a friend who wants to send you an iPhone 4 or are you trying to figure out how to scam someone on E-bay? ;-P Sorry, had to ask.

The AT&T SIM won't work in Thailand, unless you plan on using your "friend's" account and running up a massive roaming charge for him,... but your "friend" would probably catch on quick and cancel their account, at which point the SIM would be worthless.

Legally, if your friend sells an iPhone 4 that they bought at the discounted rate (i.e., $199 for 16GB or $299 for 32GB), then AT&T can charge him the difference between that and the no-contract fee. There's a chance AT&T wouldn't notice and he may never be billed for the difference, but I wouldn't recommend taking that gamble.

If you're actually legit, the best way to do this is have your friend purchase it for the no-contract price from AT&T, unlock it, mail it to you, and you insert a SIM from your country.

3. Vid macrumors member

I don't think that is correct. As long as he doesn't try to break the contract(including keeping the iphone data even if he still used a dumb phone) he signed I don't believe they care what phone he uses.

The only time ATT cares is if you move to a phone on a different data tier. For example if you use a EDGE data plan and start using 3G they will upgrade your data service.

4. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Good point, I guess I'm thinking of a scenario where you get them to reset your upgrade eligibility (such as canceling/changing your order) and then own two iPhone 4's, selling one of them. I guess if your buddy is content using a crappy phone and letting you have the iPhone 4 then it'll be fine lol...

5. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

So you're going to import a phone that doesn't work? Good luck with that.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

7. iamuurme thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks for replying.
    no im not trying to sell it on ebay i want to have one.
    1. so if my friend brought iphone4 and he uses that sim with his phone ATT is okey with that right?
    2. and if he shift that phone to me here in thailand can i just insert my sim or do i need to unlock it and jailbreak it?
    :)