Shipping large items in their product boxes.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chrmjenkins, Feb 27, 2011.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I am curious what others do for shipping large items. I will be shipping a 24" apple led cinema display in the near future, and I'd rather not put it's large box in an even larger box yet for cost concerns. What do others typically do? I have seen large paper rolls similar to the material paper grocery bags are made of, but those roles are at least $40, not worth it for a one time thing.

Is it possible that either the UPS store or a fedex store can offer to cover the item in some similar material as part of shipping? Obviously I'd rather not send it bare for theft concerns and the box getting beat up, which some care about.

Thanks for your ideas.

2. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

As far as I know, both FedEx and UPS shipping locations have the brown paper you refer to available for wrapping.

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

4. Surely Guest

Surely

You could always get a bunch of smaller boxes, cut them up, and then tape the pieces onto the ACD box.

5. ddoolin0 macrumors regular

My Corsair 800D case was shipped to me in it's product box. Didn't seem to be many problems with it. I have always wondered about this, though. AFAIC, if the box is not falling apart and it's secure, why not.

6. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Thanks. I'll call to confirm I guess.

Actually isn't a bad idea. Plastic wrap becomes opaque as you layer it. I'd go for clear box tape though :D

Too much of a theft concern on top of some people being anal about their boxes. Better safe than sorry. Although I envy you, the 800D is an awesome case.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

8. chrmjenkins, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Thanks. For some reason that never came up in my product searches. Delivery only kind of defeats the purpose though.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Geez, I don't even get an acknowledgement for my suggestion........ do you really think my idea is that bad?:confused:

I've done it before a couple of times, and it worked quite well......

10. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't think it will work well for me though.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm sure they have something similar in the store, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go in and check. I'm pretty sure post offices also sell it too.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

Okay.

FTR, one of the items that I shipped this way was in a box that is probably larger than an ACD box. I used 3-4 smaller boxes that I got at BevMo, flattened them, cut them a little, and they covered the entire box easily.

The product box arrived undamaged.

Good luck then.....

13. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Not that I have seen. As for in-store, delivery only usually means it isn't available in store.

I understand. My primary concerns are adding bulk with layering and it looking very patchwork and falling apart.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

It didn't add any bulk as the cardboard was flush up against the product box, so it only added an extra few mm to each side.

It didn't look like patchwork and it didn't fall apart. When I did it, I only utilized the large pieces of the boxes. I flipped the box pieces over so that the blank sides (the inside of the flattened boxes) were on the outside. There were only a few seams, and they were taped up securely with packing tape.

I'd say that the saran wrap and duct tape method would look way more patchworky and much more conspicuous.

15. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

My wanting not to do it has to do with my lack of confidence in my ability to do it. The saran wrap idea makes sense because that's how a lot of commercial shipments are done (boxes are bound together with the wrap). I'd still not prefer to do that for the same concerns. I'd prefer to cover it with brown paper as OP stated, or have the shipping place do it for me.

16. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If you want to ship UPS, they won't allow the brown paper (Or shouldn't, I should say).

If you basically find a suitable covering for the monitor box that doesn't disclose what's on the inside, and isn't..paper, the box should work well.

Plus, you can also buy insurance from UPS/FedEx for your box, if it becomes damaged in transit.