Shipping Mac Pro - Upright or Flat does it matter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brianone20, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Brianone20 macrumors newbie

I do a lot of traveling with my computer for on site use at events and I've been told by a friend that I can't lay the mac pro down when traveling.

So I researched some mac pro cases and they run about $650usd. However, I can get a huge storm case for $300 and fit other items in there as well IF the mac pro lays flat on one side. Besides, who's to say UPS or Fed-Ex are going to keep the mac pro specific case, upright? I think my mac pro came to my door flat and the packaging was to be opened flat as well.

Anyone out there have an opinion or travel with their mac pro's flat? I'm torn as to what to pack to pack it in.

Thanks!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Wrong forum but based on the Mac Pro design, there's nothing that indicates that it should be set in a specific position so I don't think it matters how you store or ship your Mac Pro as long as it's stable so that it doesn't tip or move around while in transit.

3. Brianone20 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops, ok thanks. I just figured mac pro question...mac pro forum...
    Apologies, mods please move it if need be.

4. kutsushita macrumors regular

kutsushita

macbook pro forum ;)

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I think you can horizontally rack-mount the new MacPro server so it should be fine switched off for transport.

6. Brianone20 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks. However, this isn't a macbook pro question @ moderator. It is a mac pro tower inquiry.

Sounds like the mac pro is ok to be laid down in transit. Thank you for the responses.

7. svenn macrumors 6502

but this is posted in the macbook pro section