Shipping macbook pro from USA to Australia

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nathan01, Jan 9, 2008.

1. nathan01 macrumors newbie

hey,
    i live in australia and it costs way too much for a macbook pro here so im going to buy one of the U.S store ( when they get updated) and get it sent to my uncle in america, how much would it cost him to send it over here to australia. and would i have to pay any tax or anything on it any help would be appreciated cos i really have no idea.
    cheers

2. timtam macrumors member

well if you are lucky enough, you will get pass the custom in Australia, otherwise you will need to pay some custom duty and other fees (not sure what are they, may be GST?), I think when you import something above $A1000 to Australia, you will need to pay those fees,

unless, you know someone from custom ;)

3. erummel macrumors member

erummel

You will have to pay duty on anything over the value of A$1000. Unlike most countries, Australia is very very stringent with border protection and customs. It may be possible to sneak a MBP through, but that chance is relatively slim. If caught, expect to pay a full 15.5% duty and other fees and penalties. It could actually be cheaper to buy it in the AUS Apple store, as the chances of getting caught are very, very good.

More info is available at:

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5653

4. nathan01 thread starter macrumors newbie

dam that sucks, cheers for the info though guys im going to ring customs today, i should be able to convince em its a gift and hopefully get it a bit cheaper.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

My sister-in-law is married to an Aussie and lives near Cairns. My experience in sending things to her is that Australian Customs is even more strict and taxes more than the Customs here in Japan.

Here in Japan even items marked as gifts over a certain value (about $100) are subject to taxation at their discretion. The taxes can be quite pricy (even 6% or 7% of retail value)

The only way you could guarantee to get the machine into Australia without paying any taxes would be for your uncle to remove it from the box and bring it to you in person as carry-on luggage.

Otherwise it's a crap shoot.