Shipping my iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Amnak, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Amnak macrumors 6502

Hey does anyone have experience shipping electronics. I just sold my iPad and I want to send it to ship already, I have the original box but i don't have the stuff that covered it anymore, any suggestions? How do i send it from here in another box? Wrapped i have no idea?! thanks in advanced!

2. jreuschl macrumors 6502

I believe UPS and FedEx ask for double boxing if you do not have the original package.

3. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Well i do have the original box, but I would feel strange sending it without it being hidden as to what it is.

4. Poop Boy macrumors newbie

Then go buy a brown box...

5. Amnak thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually I'm at the post office now the line is crazy, however I had gone to post net and they wanted 60 dollars to ship this. Post office 10 dollars

6. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Just wrap it in several layers of brown parcel paper and use plenty of tape. The iPad is more than secure enough inside that retail box, and if it gets damaged, it's the couriers fault.

7. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

i shipped mine in a flat rate box, insured for $400 and signature confirmation for $16. They had a box (free) that fit it almost perfectly. just put some crumpled newspaper around it.

8. kaiak macrumors member

Bad idea. As an employee of The UPS Store for 6+ years, I feel as though I could provide the OP (and anyone else shipping their iPads, for that matter) on packaging their iPads.

Never, ever (seriously - ever) wrap anything with brown parcel paper, or really any paper for that matter. Whenever you ship something (UPS, FedEx, post office, whatever), there will be a label sticker attached to the brown paper. Every box (again, UPS, FedEX and post office) goes on high speed conveyor belts. A box with brown paper on it will likely have the paper torn off in transit. Since the paper has the label on it, there is no way to know where a particular package is supposed to go. Therefore, lost package.

Also, if an item is damaged (or lost, like in the example above), it is almost never the courier's fault. UPS, FedEx and the post office all have specific "requirements" on how they want boxes to be packed to arrive safely (the type of box, tape, peanuts, bubble wrap, etc), and they are all the same for each courier. UPS and FedEx, should there be a claim on a damaged package, will send someone out to the recipients house in order to do a package inspection. If the agent decides that sufficient packaging was not used, then they would deny the claim, and no money would be rewarded.

This isn't UPS or FedEx's way of trying to make anyone angry or anything, but since they want things packaged a certain way, and a customer chooses to ignore that, then it can't be their fault. Every box is treated in the same way: high speed conveyor belts, sorting plants, etc; there is minimal human contact until pick up and arrival spots during transit.