Shipping Question- I might not be home!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tsivah, Mar 9, 2012.

1. tsivah macrumors newbie

I won't be home to pick up my iPad, but I thought about pre-signing. What does that mean, necessarily? Will it just sit on my front porch? Or will they take it back to the Post Office? I don't trust it to just sit on the porch. Can a roommate who may be home sign for the package for me? :(

2. Rebel Hedgehog macrumors member

Yep, just get them to say its you for an easy life

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Anyone over 18 can sign for the package. My dad usually signs for my stuff since I'm at class when the delivery guy comes.

4. mszpara macrumors regular

Anyone can sign for your package.
    If you pre-sign you are then sticking a "pre-signed" note on the door, authorizing the delivery person to leave the package. They won't take it back to the post office.

5. theshirlgirl macrumors member

I believe you can pre-sign for your order online in the Apple Store. Just go into your order and look at the options for your order.

6. tsivah thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it be okay to ask them to drop it in a different door, and perhaps in the house, if I leave the door unlocked? Ha.

7. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

On the pre-sign paper (which there will be a link to print in your shipping confirmation email), there is a space for you to specify additional instructions. You could definitely tell the carrier to place it in the door, but I would not recommend this. Anyone who walks by and sees the pre-sign paper on your door can look at the instructions and learn that your house is unlocked... You could say to take it around to a side door that might be less noticeable from the road.

8. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

My advice, is that if you can't be there to sign for it and you don't have a neighbour that you can authorize to them via the website or whomever you ordered from, is to let them drop the note on your door and go pick it up when it becomes available.

Just trusting them to place it in your back yard, between doors, or just inside is just asking for trouble. You know.. like when you are walking downstairs with soda in one hand and ice cream in the other and you think... hmmm I can carry this bag of chips too, but if I do, I might drop something.. but you don't listen and next thing you know, you are at the bottom of the stairs with both dog and cat cleaning all of the sticky sludge off of you because you tripped on the other pet who had it all cunningly planned. .... I digress but generally if something shows that deep down instinct that it might be a bad idea, it usually is.

9. preston181 macrumors member

I have sort of the same situation. I'm working on the 16th. My girlfriend will be home until 4pm, and I get home around 6pm. My plan is to print and fill out the pre-sig sheet, and have her leave it on the door if FedEx doesn't show up to deliver it prior to her leaving. I'm probably going to have them leave it with a neghbor if necessary. Not about to have $800 of merchandise just sitting on my porch, exposed to the elements, and at risk for theft.

10. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

I face a similar dilemma. I'm in class until 2PM, I can rush home and get there at maybe 2:20pm. I'm considering
    1. Pre-signing and ask the UPS/Fedex man to leave it in my back yard
    2. Have it delivered to work

I would essentially leave my back yard door gate unlocked. And it's kind of private too, my home is end-location. But I'm wavering on that...I live in a safe neighborhood, but you never know right?

So I was considering pre-signing and have them drop it off at my work, where either I can sign for it or a coworker can. The thing is, let's say they arrive at my home at 10am and I'm not there. Would they immediately turn around and go deliver it to my work? Or would they drop by when they're around this area. Because if they wait till like 5PM to stop by my work, I may as well just ask them to put it in my back yard at 2PM and not go to work.

Work is flexible for me so I can go home. Normally I work immediately after class, but given the situation, I can just go home instead. Missing class is never an option either ):