Shipping time reduced now b/c of imminent update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rvrugg90, Jul 31, 2008.

1. rvrugg90 macrumors member

Hey Guys. Last question here before I buy the MBP tomorrow. I am buying the 2.5ghz, 2gb ram, glossy screen, 200gb hd... I know it probably takes longer to customize this thing-I read the thread on "shipping time"...but the question is, do you think now that there is an update and apple is trying to get rid of these things before the new versions come out that they would ship this computer a little bit faster?

If i ordered it early tom. morning, what is a reasonable estimate? I cant wait two weeks...i need it within 7 days, so thats my only issue.

Also, do you have any idea of which options that are customizable are the main culprit in shipping delay for customized MBPs?

2. huskydsl macrumors member

huskydsl

no way you will get it in 7 days. It likely won't even ship within 7 days. Both of the laptops I've purchased took several weeks to get built, then 7 days just to ship it to my door. Pretty fast when you consider it came from taiwan

3. 61132 Guest

What are you actually customizing? If it's memory or HD space, you can do that on your own for cheaper than what apple offers.

4. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

Im getting the glossy screen and the 200gb hd.

On apple's store it cost $50 extra to upgrade to the 200gb 7200rpm drive...how much cheaper? I could probably live without the glossy..or if i could find a used one...

5. 61132 Guest

Ok, I guess for that upgrade it's not that expensive. I got a refurb MBP 15 inch glossy for 1700, that included 2gb of ram and a 200gb hard drive, but I upgraded the HD myself with a 500gb one. Ordered Thursday, came on Monday. :)

6. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

Buy a glossy version, glossies don't change the price as they have both boxed and ready, go to an Apple store if you can. Buy your hard drive from macsales.com

7. 61132 Guest

I know it was a hard decision for the glossy, but I am glad I got it! Awesome looking screen. Also try otherworldcomputing.com for ram and HD's. My 500gb hard drive came in an upgrade kit, so I could place my old drive in a firewire external enclosure.

8. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

So ordering the glossy wont affect shipping time? So realistically how much would a similarly preforming quality 200gb 7200 hd cost me if i upgraded on my own? I can get the ram done myself-easy enough. I actually really want the glossy if i can get it. (but if it means 2 weeks or more)....

9. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

http://www.apple.com/retail/taxholiday/tennessee.html

I live in NC...but TN has their tax-free holiday tom...except $1500 seems to be the max. purchase to qualify...NC is $3500. So there is a TN Apple store 1.5 hours away-thats the closest...then there is one 4 hours away. So, not worth it i guess (in store)...

10. iOrlando macrumors 68000

I was under the assumption that if i ordered a macbook tonight..i would get it in about 4-5 business days....but you are saying it takes a few weeks??? wow..that is weird. Other brands ship their laptops in under 3 days. even if it is custom.

11. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

I guess it depends on your customization. Nobody has responded to the question about whether a glossy screen affects shipping time on its own. I hope somebody does soon so i can order this thing. I guess I'll stick to the 5400rpm and see how it is...before I buy another drive.

12. rvrugg90 thread starter macrumors member

Okay Im going to put an order in for a 7200 RPM and Glossy...it says ships in 1-3 and delivery within 5 after shipping... so i upgraded to 2 day delivery...and its down to 3 days after shipping....is this what it normally says and then people get them a month later? I will cancel if this is the common thing and then just go with either a glossy and stock everything else-or just ALL STOCK.

Would be awesome if someone could chime in here about the shipping time.

13. iOrlando macrumors 68000

dont have much to add about apples shipping time, but i have received other laptop brands almost like next day even though it said 3-5.

I think they give you a fedex/ups tracking number, and you will be able to see exactly when it will be coming. i keep hearing 3 days after you order it has arrived...

14. muldul macrumors 6502

I agree with most people here, upgrade the hard drive yourself