Shipping to AU

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jcw148, Jul 18, 2011.

1. jcw148 macrumors newbie

Hello -

I recently moved from the US to AU. When the new MacBook Airs are released I wanted to buy on online and have someone still living in the US ship one to me in AU. When I mentioned this to someone here in AU they said I would have to pay a fee and/or import tax.

Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how I can get around it?

I'm pretty outraged at the prices for Apple hardware in AU in general, but since the AU dollar is so much stronger than the US dollar right now, we would be getting hit twice.

Anyone have a good solution to this?

Cheers,
    J

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

1.06 dollars to 1 Australian dollar? That's not twice..?

It's best to check with AU customs to get the full load down.

3. jcw148 thread starter macrumors newbie

"twice" being 1. AU having higher prices already and 2. AU $ being stronger than US $ right now...meaning the already higher AU prices are even higher when compared to US prices.

4. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

You will have to pay customs for items valued over 1000AUD.

No way to get around it :(

Unless you have a relative visiting and can try to sneak it in, but the box will have to go to the bin.

5. grapii macrumors member

Yep you have to pay import tax. We're moving from UK to AU in the next few months, and anything worth over 1000AUD and less than 12 months old will be subject to this tax.

Only way around it if someone brings it in for you via luggage, but they'll need to take it out of the box and take all the film off so it looks like it's there's and they've used it.

6. shinerock macrumors newbie

Then we can buy that in the same place where we are now.........na....?