Shipping UPS?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by itisme1760, Nov 9, 2008.

1. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

I live in San Francisco, CA and it has been a few days now since my MBP has been shipped.

Anyone know why UPS takes this long to depart from Alaska?

ANCHORAGE,
    AK, US 11/08/2008 11:15 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    11/08/2008 8:08 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    SHANGHAI,
    CN 11/09/2008 3:46 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    SHANGHAI,
    CN 11/08/2008 10:38 P.M. EXPORT SCAN
    SHANGHAI,
    CN 11/07/2008 3:44 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
    CN 11/07/2008 10:22 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

It should have arrived at San Francisco already, but it shows it hasn't gone anywhere yet, just departed, but it doesn't take that long to ship to SF from Anchorage?

2. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone?

Who lives in California (Norcal) who ordered a macbook or macbook pro without expedited shipping? May you post your tracking status on your order? I'd like to know what is taking so long for the flight from Alaska to California. Maybe they are driving it through Canada (highly unlikely).

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

You're kidding, right? It spent 3 hours and 7 minutes in Alaska... it's not like UPS has a plane sitting waiting just for your package to rush it into your hands. :rolleyes:

4. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, doesn't a departure scan mean that it is being loaded onto a plane? And since it's west coast, it should take 6 hours MAX. UPS has a hub in Oakland and San Francisco. So it shouldn't be taking close to 24 hours for it to have an arrival scan somewhere in California.

5. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

As of today, it's still stuck at departure scan, Alaska. Sigh...

6. six.four macrumors 6502

I have to agree with the one person that responded.

Relax and be patient. Jeez.

UPS usually gives a delivery estimate date. If that date hasn't moved or changed and it is not past that date, you have nothing to complain about. If you wanted it sooner, you should've coughed up the dough for expedited shipping.

7. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

11/08 was Saturday. UPS doesn't do anything on weekends. The plane will probably leave sometime tonight.

Also, there's no guarantee the plane is going to San Francisco. It could go anywhere in the country next, it's just wherever they have a hub. I've had stuff from FedEx go from Shanghai to Anchorage to Indianapolis and back to St. Louis, which is out of the way, but Indianapolis is where they have a hub, so that's where the package went first.

In fact, there's a UPS cargo flight en route right now from Anchorage to Ontario, California. It wouldn't surprise me if your laptop is on that plane.

9. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm coming to think that they don't physically scan some of these things sometimes. They just assume it's on the plane. Cause departure scan should mean it left Australia.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

A scan doesn't mean that at that exact moment, your package left Alaska. Probably means they loaded it up into their cargo containers, which will then be loaded on the plane, which will then take off. The scans only give you a general idea. They're not always accurate. I've had tracking pages tell me that my package was in California when it was already in my hands here in Missouri.

And one more thing to remember, since this package is coming from China, it has to go through customs at some point. That will slow it down in Alaska.

11. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

I see, it's good to know. Thanks for the information. Now let's hope it's on it's way to Ontario, CA, 6 hours away...

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Be patient

When I ordered my iMac, I saw the exact same status - not updated one bit - for three days when I (repeatedly) checked on line. Then all of a sudden one morning it had finally left CA, arrived in TX, and was on the truck for delivery.

I don't think every single "checkpoint" along the way gets updated immediately - in my case it seemed like about three days worth of checkpoints got uploaded to the website all at once.

Don't panic :)

13. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess it's the wonders of ordering a Mac and playing the waiting game. There's actually two flights to Ontario, CA that are UPS. I wonder why I can't find the flight from Shanghai to Anchorage?

14. Pixellated macrumors 65816

You have a disease I have come to call iTrack Syndrome. I get it whenever I order anything Apple :D.

15. udrivethrume macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

I, too, have this disease known as iTrack Syndrome.

UPS definitely doesn't scan packages at every arrival/departure point for its shipments. My alu mb has been supposedly sitting in Kentucky since bright and early Saturday morning. I know it's only Tuesday morning so I can't exactly be too crabby about that, but the combination of UPS not listing an estimated delivery date at all (although it did when the package was initially prepared for shipment) and the fact that there was no update when it left Alaska, either, leaves me wondering where my MB really is and when it might show up.

I guess the solution is to call up UPS and ask, but that will have to wait until after class!

16. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

udrivethume,

same, mine package is still in Alaska with a departure scan on 11/08/08

So maybe it wasn't on that UPS flight late last night...Let's hope they skip a few trackings and show up today!

17. r.jacobs macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

It looks like I'm on the same boat (or rather plane) with you guys. My MBP is also “stuck” in Anchorage, Alaska since 11/08 (Departure Scan). My delivery date is supposed to be tomorrow but looks like it may be delayed according to this UPS tracking system. You guys have any updates?

18. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

19. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine finally updated today. It says it's in St. Louis Kentucky!!! I'm in California!!! Oh well, at least it says shipping date 11/13/08 which is tommorrow so I'm pretty stoked.

20. kandiman1224 macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2008 4:47 PM

Departed FedEx location

ANCHORAGE, AK

11:55 AM

Int'l shipment release

ANCHORAGE, AK

10:12 AM

Arrived at FedEx location

ANCHORAGE, AK

Nov 16, 2008 11:50 PM

At local FedEx facility

LANTAU ISLAND HK

Nov 15, 2008 6:43 PM

In transit

LANTAU ISLAND HK

12:40 PM

Left FedEx origin facility

SHENZHEN CN

Nov 14, 2008 5:46 PM

Picked up

SHENZHEN CN

Package received after FedEx cutoff

12:47 PM

Package data transmitted to FedEx

So heres my info from Fedex....my guess is that it will be here either tomorrow or the next day like it said, wich is wedneseday.

21. kandiman1224 macrumors newbie

Nov 18, 2008 2:31 AM
    Departed FedEx location
    OAKLAND, CA
    Nov 17, 2008 4:47 PM
    Departed FedEx location
    ANCHORAGE, AK 11:55 AM
    Int'l shipment release
    ANCHORAGE, AK 10:12 AM
    Arrived at FedEx location
    ANCHORAGE, AK
    Nov 16, 2008 11:50 PM
    At local FedEx facility
    LANTAU ISLAND HK
    Nov 15, 2008 6:43 PM
    In transit
    LANTAU ISLAND HK 12:40 PM
    Left FedEx origin facility
    SHENZHEN CN
    Nov 14, 2008 5:46 PM
    Picked up
    SHENZHEN CN
    Package received after FedEx cutoff 12:47 PM
    Package data transmitted to FedEx

The package is in Oakland wich is super close to my house and its one day early :)

Lol My Tweaker ass is up at 3:00 in the morning but I'm actually not sleepy :D Happy shipping :apple: