"SHIPS TODAY" = big fat lie.

zahque

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
so, we went from "ships today" to "getting to my house somewhere between June 23 and June 27th."

it wouldn't bother me so much if the keynote didn't dedicate an entire slide to the word TODAY ten times the size of God.

what gives? this seems like blatantly false advertisement.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Store just changed from 5-7 business days to 7-10.
Guess it turned out more popular than they expected.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
I completely agree with you. Phil shouldn't have made such a big deal about it if he could not deliver.

zahque

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
and PS - you think they would have anticipated the demand. the fact that it went from "ships today" to "5-7 days" to "7-10 days" in just under a few hours is also irking.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
In fact, I was keep refreshing the apple store website, when it became online Retina MBP was showing up the 5-7 days shipping option only, while other MBPs were showing "ships today" or "in stock".

I talked to CSR and got the "due the high demand..." story. :mad:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
So some shipped today and the rest will have to wait. Big deal. What did you think would happen, they have an unlimited supply?

zahque

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
So some shipped today and the rest will have to wait. Big deal. What did you think would happen, they have an unlimited supply?
1) no one is reporting that their order shipped today. 5-7 days has been the earliest reported shipping time so far.

2) no, i don't expect that they would have an unlimited supply. i do expect, however, that they would have some reasonable estimate regarding the number of launch day orders they would receive, and that "ships today" would not become "ships in a month" in a matter of hours.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I completely agree with you. Phil shouldn't have made such a big deal about it if he could not deliver.
While I don't disagree with you, Apple is notorious for wildly optimistic claims.

The best way to avoid disappointment is to remember, like other large corporations, trusting Apple is questionable :)

There's a very wise saying: "buyer beware". This is especially true when it comes to Apple.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Probably does ship today from china thats why it will take so long. They are all on a freighter crossing the pacific.:rolleyes:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2007
no one is reporting that their order shipped today. 5-7 days has been the earliest reported shipping time so far.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but mine shipped yesterday.

If you read more posts here on Macrumors you'll find others had their units ship yesterday as well.

So, Apple wasn't giving a big fat lie after all.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
re-diculous. like they couldn't imagine there would be this kind of demand.
They did ship today you just weren't quick enough. Also its good business not to saturate the market with your goods. If they dont sell then you have stock laying around costing you money. If you fulfill orders as they come in you have no surplus, thus saving you money. I do agree they could produce a few more before they launch though but pent up demand equals more prolonged interest in the product. ;)