Shock Absorber (rubber) v. Shock Taker (hard shell)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by w0ngbr4d, Jul 19, 2008.

1. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

I'm planning on picking up a couple of iPhones here once T-Mobile runs out and the midwest Apple stores actually have stock. In order to prevent parking lot accidents just after the purchase, I'd like to get a couple cases before I buy the phones.

I'm trying to decide between a rubber case or a hard shell case. A rubber case should absorb any shock if the phone is dropped, but I don't know how well it will slide into pockets, if the rubber will stretch, etc. A hard shell case will take the damage, but might also break in the process, meaning it'll need to be replaced.

I have a Griffin iClear on my iPod touch and its worked out really well. I don't have my iPod out nearly as much as i would a cell phone, so I don't know how it would perform if dropped from a decent height.

So far I like the Agent18 Eco Shield (hard shell) and the Marware Sportgrip (rubber). These will be paired with Power Support films.

What are your thoughts opinions on hard shell v. rubber cases?

Thanks for the input.

2. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

Hmmm i dont really reccomend the agent 18 ecoshield. i dont like it that much.

Im thinking of getting the incase protective cover.

3. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I think hardshells are better for drops. I don't trust the rubber stuff anymore. But then again, if it's too slippery, you can drop it or it will going flying off the carseat!!! The whole case thing is driving me insane. There isn't such thing as a perfect case. Maybe have a few and change them according to what you are doing??? I have the same thoughts as you as far as using the phone more than an ipod. There is more of a chance of dropping it.

4. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Got a hard case (Griffin) yesterday. It's great. The Apple Genius recommended only hard cases. He said grit/sand will get into the rubberized cases and the movement over time will sand the backside where it will have lots of scratches. Also said hard case takes the impact, while soft, the components still get a major blow and can damage phone. Who cares if the hard case breaks, better it than the iPhone. btw, you mentioned T-Mobile, did you mean ATT?

5. w0ngbr4d thread starter macrumors regular

My current T-Mobile contract is up at the end of August, I have to wait until then to get an iPhone and port to AT&T.

I thinking about getting a leather wrapped hard shell from either Belkin or Griffin. I know the Belkin has a soft interior which is nice. I'm gonna look around some more to see what else is out there. Way too many choices.

Thanks for the replies.