Shocked at resale drops!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bass93, Mar 3, 2011.

1. bass93 macrumors regular

I am totally shocked to see first gen iPads going for so low on eBay. You can get Buy It Now's for $345. Auctions cheaper. I have a fourth gen 32GB iPod Touch that I don't find myself using except for email, eBay, AmpKit, Netflix, an occasional game and facebook. I could get $275 for it, because I have a couple cases and some accessories. Sure is tempting to sell it and get a first gen iPad. I'd be getting close to an even trade...hmmmmm. I got my Touch for less than $300 right after launch.

I still have various iPods for listening to music, so 16GB is perfect for me. It'd be nice to get 3G though. But to have a bigger screen for Netflix, taking notes at college, much easier to use AmpKit, and many other things, I'm thinking of doing this.

Any thoughts?

2. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

This is what happens when Apple releases a new product, the current one goes way cheap because everyone wants to off-load it to get the newest version. So people waiting for the new iPad to launch aren't necessarily waiting for the new iPad, but for the cheaper prices they can get the older one at. This is what I do with iMacs, I get the highest end for dramatically less.

3. bass93 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. Nice. Do you have an iPad? If so how long and what are your main uses?

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Well seeing as Apple is selling refurbished ones (and Apple refurbished is truly as good as new) for $349 (with fresh warranty) it's not really surprising.

5. bass93 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I could go that route, but then you have to pay taxes :p lol. So it's more like $379.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

$379 for a good-as-new product with a new product warranty? Not a bad deal at all. ;)

7. bass93 thread starter macrumors regular

It is when you don't have that much to spend.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Once Apple has cleared stock of old iPads and they aren't available on mass at reduced prices, I suspect the resale value will raise slightly.

If you can hold off selling for a month or two, you may get more money for your iPad than trying to sell in an overloaded market.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its that whole supply and demand thing.

Supply is skyrocketing due to people flooding the market with used iPads and apple selling the unsold stock of iPad 1 so low. Couple that with the demand for the iPad 1 sinking fast in light of the iPad 2. All that means the value for the iPad 1 is sinking.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd also suggest that the changeover costs would be lower as well as there will be more choices of cases and screen protectors; those who feel those are important add-ons will likely have a wider, lower-cost product mix to choose from at retail than they will on 11 March. Not a huge difference most likely, but something to consider as well.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, right now there is a flood of people putting their old iPads up for sale which causes the prices to drop. It is a buyers market right now, not a sellers market.

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Resale is pretty bad right now. I had my 64gb 3g with case on CL for a couple of weeks at 599 and no bites, finally just sold it today for 550, which is nuts. I think a lot of smart people that realize the ipad2 doesn't really offer much over the ipad1 are making out like bandits, unfortunately I'm a tech ho and need to snatch up every new product.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

So you either pay 30 in tax, or approx 20 in shipping. Not to mention, the Apple refurbs come with a new battery.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And a warranty

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Let's face it, there are more iPads for sale than anyone could imagine. I have never seen this for any product before. Bodes very well for iPad 2 sales. It's not just fanboys who want the newest model.

17. tritonj macrumors 6502a

the answer is very simple, ipods will hold value more because its market is bigger, the ipad is a niche market item.

18. kalex macrumors 65816

What did u think it was going to do? Magically be at the same price as new ones? Be lucky that it didn't drop even more.

Prices on used ipads stayed very close to new ones ever since it came out. Actually they were selling over MSRP during first few months so this is a payback. It was impossible to find a normally priced ipad. Now market is flooded with them thanks in part to Apple's brilliant marketing.

The longer you hold on to it the more it drops. It might even out a bit after the initial rush to dump them but don't expect them to miraculously go up in price.

Some people didn't get the memo about new ipads as CL is filled with optimistic sellers trying to get their money back

19. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

Glad I sold my ipad 2 weeks ago for $425.

i'll be getting ipad 2 next week. woho!

20. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Apple's becoming the definition of mainstream and the products are everywhere. They don't hold the exclusivity nor value as they used to.

21. JD2K9 macrumors newbie

I am trying to decide if I am better off buying a new ipad 2 getting my 9-10 months of fun filled use out of of it than selling it for the majority of what I paid for it, or try to get a 16gb wifi for $300 (been having alot of trouble getting any lower than $330..) Hrm..

22. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

Yesterday was pretty bad. Saw a few 16g wifi going for about $270 on craigslist. Now it seems like prices are going back up because I see no less than $350. I'm just waiting a bit more to sell mine.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue with Craigslist is that you have no idea what they sold for. Just because you see 350 for the iPad doesn't mean that's what the market will bear. I've seen some outrageous prices at times on CL, so its hard to determine marketvalue on CL.