Shocker! Unlocked 3g no longer recognized!?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DarkFlame, Mar 30, 2011.

1. DarkFlame macrumors regular

Firstly I'd like to thank anyone who takes the time to reading my question and takes the time to point me in the right direction. It is invaluable to me as I have spent hours trying to figure this out on my own.

I have an iPhone 3G on 3.1.3 that is currently working in my 2007 Macbook running iTunes 8.0 with no issues. When I connect it syncs, allows me remove and add media and can restore from an earlier back up at no problem.

I just purchased a new 2011 Macbook Pro and uninstalled iTunes 10.1 and installed version 8.0 and expected similar results - however it just tells me it can't recognize the phone and to restore it to factory settings.

Why!?

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

you need to update your iTunes. that could be your problem.

3. DarkFlame thread starter macrumors regular

No, an updated with ITunes would mean the same problem I am having now. The phone is jailbroken and unlocked - it won't work with any version above 8.0. The point is I installed 8.0 and it works fine on my old macbook but not in my new 2011 pro.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well your wrong! but good luck to you.

Im not saying updating will fix your problem but it might. but I am saying you are wrong about it not working above 8.0. there is no reason not to update your iTunes to the latest version. being jailbroken and unlocked has no bearing on it. you obviously have a conflict between the computer, iTunes, and your iPhone. I would start with iTunes.

5. DarkFlame thread starter macrumors regular

Tracey, I headed your advice and gave it a shot. Looks it doesn't work and I am getting the same issue. However when I plug it into my 8.0 Itunes on my 2007 macbook - it works just fine.

I appreciate your help, hopefully other will chime in w/ ideas.

6. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well thats how you fix it. you try several different suggestions til one works. I was just saying the latest iTunes is not your problem. you might go to the macbooks section and see if someone there has an suggestion.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

try a different sync cord. also have you authorized the new mac book pro, I know it's basic stuff but sometimes that works.

8. DarkFlame thread starter macrumors regular

Someone else mentioned that, tried ti and no go. And authorized it as in a setting on the phone or registered the computer?

Thanks, keep the suggestions coming. For clarification the message is:
    ITunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "Steven's Iphone". Go to the Summary tab in the iPhone preferenes and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings.

9. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d