Shocking feeling in Europe using adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Void5150, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Void5150 macrumors member

Hello,

I am currently in Europe and have an adapter that allows me to plug in my Macbook Pro. The adapter allows a 3 prong input and has a 2 prong output. This is the only type of adapter I could find.

When I run my MacBook Pro plugged in, I get a weird vibration or mild shocking feeling when I rub my hand against it.

I understand this may be from grounding. My big question is, is this safe for my MacBook Pro?

Thanks.

2. Gav2k, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes it's perfectly safe for your MacBook. Duck heads do not carry the earth through only the extensions do.

3. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If it bothers you stop by the Apple store and get the actual Europe plug they're 12 Euro

4. Big Ron macrumors 6502

Big Ron

I have the same with my rMBP. I am an electrical engineer by trade and can confirm what Gav2k says. It's all to do with the Duck head. If you look in the extension lead Duck Head you will see a couple of silver coloured strips either side of the groove. This provides a better earth. If you look at the Duck head on its own there are no strips. Don't worry its ok to use either Duck Heads.