Shocking MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcburrows, Apr 11, 2009.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

My MBP lineup is as follows

Current: MBP 2.66GHz, 4GB rev1
    Previous: MBP 2GHZ, 2GB rev1
    First: PB 1Ghz 1Gb rev??

Anyway all three have ended up at some point giving me small electrical shocks at times, occasionally when I am concurrently touching another metal item - e.g. desk lamp, and at other times when I am only in contact with the MBP.

Has anyone else had this problem? I presume as this is my third MBP, and all have done the same that this is nothing new??

Any advice / similar problems

Thanks

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

maybe the problem lies with you? or the clothes you wear? you're simply electric?;)

3. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Superpowers suck

As superpowers go, its pretty crappy eh!
    Although I do have a pair of Nike Free's that whilst very comfortable, certainly cause me to get shocks all the time.....

Maybe I need to contact Al Gore and the climate scientists...perhaps I am the answer to world power problems????

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

haha you would be the answer to all our energy problems then and the enemy of oil rich states :p.

On a more serious note, I have experienced shocks in the past from my macbook pro. In particular, it would happen during winter and I'm guessing it was a combination of the cold, dry climate and woolly sweaters that caused it.

Do you get shocked even when your macbook pro is unplugged and running off battery? If it only happens when its plugged in somewhere, you might want to check the power socket and see if that could be the problem.

5. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Shock

It happens both plugged and unplugged, I have no doubt you are right though, I am sure it is me and my clothes......it is shocking what we put up with for fashion!

I will stop now, sorry :D

6. aleni macrumors 68020

my wife touch my hand when i'm using my UMBP17, she told me that se can feel electricity from my hand. is it dangerous thing in long term?

7. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

That could be potentially dangerous. I would take it back and get a new one. If the problem continues, you're screwed.

8. aleni macrumors 68020

I think the problem is that my house's electricity has not been proprly grounded.

9. eldy macrumors 6502

When plugging in my external USB drive into a MBP, I saw a spark between the metal case of the USB plug and the MBP case. It only happened one time and I didn't get shocked because I was only touching the plastic part of the USB plug.

10. evilspoons macrumors member

Perhaps it's just static charge built up on YOU... stop shuffling your feet around :D

In all seriousness, since the Mac is a grounded metal box, it will tend to take the static discharge from people/things that have been raised above ground potential. This isn't good for it, but I'm willing to bet that usually static just travels through the case out the ground without damaging anything.

Now... if you feel a constant current rather than a split-second 'snap' you've got an entirely different problem and should get your home wiring checked out.

(Disclaimer: I am an electrical engineer but I do not know the Mac's exact design, nor am I an electrician)

11. bcburrows thread starter macrumors 6502

bcburrows

So what your saying is.....

SO let me get this right....I am not a superhero.....blast!