Shockwave doesn't for on Firefox in OSX?!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by orvn, Sep 29, 2011.

1. orvn macrumors 6502

Firefox is my main browser for a number of reasons, I use it pretty heavily and prefer Gecko to Webkit.

Today I stumbled upon a site that required Adobe Shockwave (formerly from Macromedia)- something I hadn't come across in a while.

Am I reading this right: it doesn't work on Firefox?
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Did you actually try it?

That compatibility page is ancient (it doesn't even show Win7), and in a quick test, it works fine in Firefox. If you install the 32-bit version of Shockwave, it seems to work fine in FF 3.6.x and not in FF7 (which is 64-bit), but if you click the "manually install plugin" button, it'll take you to a 64-bit version of Shockwave 11, which installs and runs fine in FF7, even in 64 bit mode.

I'm mildly impressed that Adobe bothered to update Shockwave with a 64-bit version, but I'm more impressed that you actually found, unintentionally, something that required it to work--I haven't seen anything in regular browsing that required Shockwave in years.

[Edit: Maybe "fine" is an exaggeration; both of the demos on Adobe's site I tried crashed the plugin when I tried to actually play the game--not sure if that's Shockwave sucking, the 64-bit version of it sucking, a FF problem (unlikely, since they loaded and displayed the title screen fine), or their demos sucking.]

3. orvn thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, I'm running Fx7 in 32 bit mode right now and Shockwave doesn't appear to work (missing plugin).. it does work in Safari and Chromium.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Did you try clicking on the "missing plugin" placeholder, clicking the "manual" button, and installing what that downloads for you? On FF7 64-bit, this got me a plugin that worked fine, and was different from what the standard Shockwave page fed me. It's possible that there's more than one version of the Shockwave plugin (there's got to be at least 2), and going through FF will get you the one compatible with it.

Heck, it's possible that the 64-bit plugin also works with FF 32-bit where the "standard" one doesn't.