Shoddy Battery life

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TJaames, Jan 5, 2011.

1. TJaames macrumors member

Hey guys,
    I'm just wondering about how long your battery will last you when using it constantly.
    I find my ipad draining at about 1% or so per minute while simply surfing the web at half brightness. Is that normal?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

My iPad has excellent battery life

I used it on the way back from London and watched 3 full movies, listened to music, played Angry Birds and more and still had plenty of juice when I landed after a 9 + hour flight

3. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

My iPad easily exceeds 8 - 9 hours and that is usually surfing the Internet via 3G. I drove from Atlanta to Walt Disney World with the iPad on navigation software better than a 7 hour trip and still had battery life left.

So in answer to your question, I'd say that is not normal.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

No definitely not normal! My wifi only iPad can go all day (more or less). That's with playing games, surfing the web, reading books, etc. During the week (when I can't use my ipad at work), I go several evenings before a charge and on the weekends it is almost all day.

5. bri1212 macrumors 6502

maybe there is something wrong with yours.

I was just away vacationing for two weeks, used my ipad everyday, and did not recharge once. I was surfing and gaming, and using all kinds of apps. So maybe there is something wrong with yours?
    Just my two cents, and not even worth the pper it is printed on :)

6. daffie macrumors regular

daffie

In general regarding a long-lasting battery...

Check your Notifications within Settings overview, and also specific apps at the bottom of the Settings overview. Might be a lot of apps that are continually updating...

Furthermore, it might be interesting to see how many apps are running in the background by double-clicking on the Home button. You'll see the apps in a strip on the bottom of the screen. Click and hold one app...you'll notice red minus-signs appear on each app...close whichever you don't need at the moment by clicking on the red minus-sign. Might be worth it...

7. VTMac macrumors 6502

Yours is almost certainly defective. Do a full backup in iTunes. Then do a full restore. If your battery life does not return to 9 hours min, take it back to Apple for repair or replacement.

If battery life does come back, install apps 1 at a time, use for a day and see if the battery life dips again. It's a pain, but if it's not hardware, it's the only way to isolate the culprit.

8. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

I routinely get 10% an hour, and thus a 10-hour life. It's the first device I've owned where I never think about the battery. I know it will just work.

9. wyneken macrumors regular

I had this problem with a brand-new iPad several months ago, and after talking to Apple tech support, the only solution that worked was to restore as a new iPad. (Apparently some app was misbehaving and draining the battery even after I quit running it -- and this was back in the iOS 3.2 era, before multitasking.)

The problem went away and has never come back.

One rule of thumb is that the nominal 10-hour battery life should translate to 10% of your battery being drained for each hour of normal use, or 1% every six minutes. There will be some range of deviation from this, but it sounds like what you're experiencing is WAY out of range. Talk to Apple about this -- they'll replace the device if the problem can't be fixed.

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Get it looked at, I've just watched 80 minutes of streaming netflix and only lost 11% battery life!

11. MactheMacman macrumors newbie

I just got my iPad about a week ago and it has exceptional battery life. But it seems to use more battery while on safari or using your wifi. It will use more battery if you have 3G and are using the 3G a lot.

12. vant macrumors 65816

Are you jailbroken? If not, it is most certainly defective. I can't figure out a way to drain the battery at even 1% per two minutes with an unjb'd ipad.

13. Ksane macrumors regular

Make sure Bluetooth is off, auto-brightness is off and 3G is off (if you're not using it). That's definitely not right. I've tested mine time and time again and get between 8-10% battery drain per hour. I've had it 7 months now, no sign of slowing down in any way.

14. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

does auto brightness consume more power? is that feature not advisable to have switched on then?

i have mine ON and set the slider to about 15-20%

should i just leave it at that and switch the auto feature off?

sorry for butting in

15. swy05 macrumors 6502

So let me get this straight. You used your ipad for 2 full weeks without charging once. You were surfing, gaming, and using all kinds of apps.

I'm assuming no more than 30 minutes per day.