Shoe frustration

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by it5five, Sep 9, 2007.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Maybe someone on here can help me.

I'm looking for a nice sneaker with a slim-ish profile (I don't want any fat looking shoes, hard to explain), like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (except not white)

The problem is, almost any sneaker I find has leather on it, and I don't wear leather.

Can anyone recommend some good sneakers like those that aren't made of dead animal skin? I've been looking for days and haven't been able to find anything except Converse (which I don't want).

2. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Do you want a leather look or is canvas fine?

3. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

I'd prefer canvas, but I realize my options are pretty limited, so the leather look is okay too.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Chances are, the ones in the image you posted contain leather as well.

Outside of Converse or knock-offs, your options for leather-free shoes are limited. Most shoe outlets carry Converse or Vans, and usually at least a knock-off or two. Otherwise, try Vegan essentials or something similar.

5. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Yeah, the ones posted do have leather, unfortunately. I just like the style, and wish they came in leather-free options.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't get it. Onitsuka Tigers makes some great non-leather shoes. Well, they're not great meaning "comfortable." They're stylin' though.

Merrell and Timberland make a great looking pair of hemp shoes. :)

I just checked the Merrell website, and they didn't have the hemp shoes I was thinking of anymore. :eek: They have another pair, though. They have the typical Merrell "moccasin" look, if you like that. Timberland just doesn't sell hemp anymore.

Sorry.

7. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Really? Which ones? I looked around their website and all the shoes I looked at had some bits of leather on them. I'll take a closer look, maybe I missed one.

8. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I believe Puma has some shoes that are completely free of leather (or other natural materials, judging on how they look).

edit// scratch that, i went and looked and it appears the ones I had in mind are indeed full-grain leather.

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Keep in mind that you can find a lot of shoes in synthetic leather. I'm not sure if you're wanting non-leather shoes for a I-don't-like-dead-animals reason or for another reason, but you can find leather-looking shoes from man-made (plastic) materials. (Of course, there could be other reasons why that won't work that I am unaware of.) Will that work?

10. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

I don't like wearing leather because I'm morally opposed to it. The synthetic leather looking material is fine with me, it's just the real material I have a problem with.

11. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Thanks for the clarification. You might try to find an inexpensive (or very expensive) pair of indoor soccer shoes. You'll have to decide if their profile is slim enough for your tastes, but they are less chunky than traditional sneakers (running shoes, cross-trainers, etc.).

Two examples of what I'm referring to. Both come in a couple different colors. I have the Pumas, and love them.

The Nike Tiempo Natural IC and the Puma WC06 v1.06 Trainer

Attached Files:

12. Lau Guest

If there's a company you like their shoes in general, email them and ask. Not just for non-leather stuff, but anything from different sizes, selling them in a different country, colours, arch support, anything. Not only will they usually give you a list of ones with that feature, but it also registers that people are interested in that particular thing.

For instance, most people see leather as a quality thing, and synthetic as inferior. If the company thinks that people might not buy their shoes because of the leather they might then offer a synthetic option or range in the future. Worth doing, I reckon. Consumer power n all that.

13. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

14. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I won't rest until I've eaten each and every vegetable to death.

15. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Ok.....well, they did between January and June. I know because I was looking at a pair. They were this electric blue with yellow lines, and were made from what appeared to be a nylon mesh or something.....just like real running shoes. I can't find them on the internet, either. :eek:

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

18. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I might end up getting those Onitsuka's that PhatElvis linked to. They are pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

MacNut, these are the shoes I'm wearing now:

[​IMG]

Globe Castros. They are incredibly comfortable and I love them. I'm just getting tired of wearing the same shoes every single day, and I'd like to own some lace-up shoes.