Shoe Recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dmac77, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a pair of semi-dressy shoes for a 16 year old male? Just for the record, I HATE tennis shoes/sneakers. They're fine for gym class, but otherwise they shouldn't be seen in public IMO. They don't even belong with jeans, you should wear a nice pair of casual mocs with jeans.

I like loafers, but I can deal with laced shoes assuming I truly like them. I need something that I can dress down at school, but can also be dressed up for a more formal setting (going to a nice restaurant, dates, etc.). My budget is $150. I also want something that is stylish if possible, although I do know that I'm not going to be wearing a pair of Hugo Boss shoes to school. IMO shoes can make or break an outfit; and more often than not, people break their outfit with their shoes.

My current pair of loafers are Kenneth Cole New York. I love them, but I feel that I need to change get something a little different. I'll still wear the Kenneth Coles, but I need something new too.

My current loafers:
    pKCP-7045650v275.jpg
    Thanks,

Don

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Personally, I go for how shoes feel over looks. That's why I'll never wear a pair of sketchers or a great looking dress shoe that kills my feet. That said, I wear Keens. They go from sporty to dress and are, hands down, the most comfortable shoes I've worn (I've got two different pair). They aren't cheap, but what good shoes are? And they aren't everyones cup of tea but I find more and more people wearing them in the business world. My boss recently bought a pair for work and exclaimed one day, "why didn't anyone tell me about these!?"

3. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

^^^
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just looked at their lineup on their website, but in all honesty, they're too casual for my tastes. I'm one of those people that will sacrifice aching feet for a great looking pair of shoes, I've endured blisters for a pair of shoes that look great in the past; although it's not an experience that I would like to repeat, I'd be willing to if the shoes looked good enough.

Don

4. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

Not sure if these are your taste but i own a pair and love them.
    I can wear them out to clubs (except ones with real strict dress codes) but also wear them to uni. Can be dressed up or down as you say.

Attached Files:

5. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

There are hardly more versatile shoes than the Timberland boat shoes. I don't know whether they are your style or not, but I love mine (I'm on my third pairs I think in the last decade).

My other favourites are Panama Jack shoes, they are called Havana Joe in the US. They are the most comfortable shoes that you might ever wear. I have brown suede ones (Kafka I think) and one that is in camel.

6. afd macrumors 6502a

Alfred Sargent Castleton Don't know if this is your taste, or if there is a stockist in USA, but this is my favourite footware. Had a pair for 3 1/2 years, very comfortable and go well with jeans and the right colour of suit.

[​IMG]

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

8. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I second Ecco. That's all I wear to work.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Check out Aldo and Tsubo, Don. I have some Kenneth Coles too, but they aren't something I would wear all the time.

I am also not a fan of athletic shoes being worn casually. You have proper taste. :)

10. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

A 16 year-old that doesn't like athletic shoes? Awesome. (Actually, I was the same way in high school. I usually wore vintage oxfords and some Doc Martens.)

If you already have loafers, maybe try a pair of lace-ups this time. I've had a number of Kenneth Coles / Kenneth Cole Reactions over the years and they get the job done. If your tastes run classic or more edgy and modern, they've got something for you, and they're still decently made.

I can't say I was impressed with Aldo. Very cheap, poorly made shoes IMO. My tastes in shoes have gone well up the food chain over the years and I've gotten a lot pickier: my current go-to shoes are from Rachel Comey and Dries van Noten.

But actually, athletic shoes can be worn tastefully as a part of a casual / dress casual outfit. Just don't wear shoes you'd actually take to the gym. Going with a more vintage design such as an Adidas Gazelle or Greenstar in an unusual colorway can really add a nice pop to an outfit.

11. iOrlando macrumors 68000

when i was 16, i think i gave 0 cents as to what kind of shoes i wore.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- surprised to hear about your Aldo experience. I've got quite a few of their shoes, and they're amazing. I've had them last me several years before having to toss them, and I'm very hard on shoes. I walk everywhere.

13. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I'd recommend Allen Edmonds. They're great shoes, but you'll probably have to look at a place like Nordstrom Rack to find a pair in the $150 range. You might be able to get a decent deal somewhere on line as well.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Rack is awesome. They have such great deals on shoes.

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

16. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Definitely! Lots of good deals there. I get shoes, dress shirts, ties, etc. from The Rack for pretty good prices.

I also really like Neiman Marcus Last Call and Saks Off 5th. Neiman is probably my favorite, but a lot of the stuff they get is so high end I still can't afford it. Every once in awhile they have like a 20%-30% off and then an extra 40% on top, that's when I make my purchases; nothing beats getting $200 jeans for less than $50 or $300 shoes for under $100.

Way to go Lee, now I want to go shopping. :p

17. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Don
    take a look at
    www.rieker.com
    they are amazingly comfortable.
    KGB

18. Dmac77 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dmac77

To all:

Sorry that it has taken me so long to respond, but I've had to severely limit my computer time over the past few days due to the fact that I am studying for 4 AP exams (AP Calc AB, AP Chemistry, AP US History, AP English Language and Comp.) that are quickly approaching. Anyone who has taken an AP exam should understand, that my life is a virtual living hell in which I am surrounded by notes, study guide, review booklets, sample tests, and review books. So I am sorry!

As for the shoes. After thinking about it, I do think I should go with a laced shoe, do to the fact that I do have loafers already. I am still considering penny loafers do to the fact that you can wear them with shorts (I think??? At least that's what GQ says). I did look at the Allen Edmonds website, and I really do like the way their shoes look, unfortunately they are out of by price range, and the closest Nordstrom Rack is in Chicago (I did have a ball there when I was in Chicago last year); but there is a NM Last Call and a Saks Off Fifth within 75 miles of me, so I'll take a trip there as soon as AP hell ends.

Regarding Aldo & Tsubo: I have had shoes from Aldo in the past, and I find that they tend to fall apart on me quickly, so I try to avoid them; they do have some nice designs though. I looked at the Tsubo lineup, and they are a bit on the casual side, but when I am in the market for some more casual laced shoes I'll be sure to take a look at them. Thanks for letting me know about them Lee!

The Alfred Sargent shoes are really nice, but they are going to be way out of my price range (going by the current conversion rate); I did email them to see if they have a US retailer for future reference though.

Looking online, I have to say that my favorite pair that I've seen is the Tribeca by Allen Edmonds. http://www.zappos.com/allen-edmonds-tribeca-tan-soft-calf

BTW, does anyone here have experience with Zappos?

Thanks,

Don

19. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Zappos is a great company, plus they're owned by Amazon now, so that should give you confidence.

20. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

If you are leaning more towards casual, you can't go wrong with a pair of Clarks. Most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

[​IMG]

21. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you want something you can wear with shorts, look into boat shoes. They may be a little to preppy for your tastes, but they're a great summer shoe. Sperry Top-Siders are the classic brand

[​IMG]

22. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Allen Edmonds definitely get pricey, but they'll last forever if you take care of them. AE will even "recraft" the shoes for a fee since they're such high quality and are intended to last for so long. Plus, they are one of the few shoe companies that still makes shoes in America.

You should be able to do pretty well on NM Last Call and Saks Off Fifth, but its tough to know what brands and styles they will have.

You might look at Johnston and Murphy and Cole Haan. They're both bigger names and produce more shoes than Allen Edmonds, so you're chance of finding them for cheap is greater. They're definitely not the same quality as Allen Edmonds, IMO, but they make decent shoes. Here is a pair of Johnston and Murphy's for $150 that is somewhat similar to the Allen Edmonds.

If you ever want to get a pair of Allen Edmonds for a good price, keep eBay in mind. There really isn't much of a fake market for Allen Edmonds, AFAIK, and a lot of people on the style forums purchase them with great luck and at great prices on eBay. You can always try them on for size at a regular Nordstrom or other retailer that carries them, write the size down, and then find a similar pair online.

23. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

These are nice, and only £1029.60 (€1,187.56 or $1,582.30usd)

:eek:

[​IMG]