Shold I keep my clamshell?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by iBookG4 FTW, Mar 31, 2008.

1. iBookG4 FTW macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

I've had a blueberry clamshell iBook for a very long time (In fact, it was my first real mac, I bought it for $500 in 2001) and I have since upgraded to a last revsion iBook G4.

Now, I don't really have a need for it anymore, it just sits on my shelf, occasionlly being booted up just for fun. I actually have someone who is interested in trading it for an HP notebook from around the same time period (and I gotta face the facts, I am increaseingly in need of a PC, and either way, I have to buy one, so this might be a very good deal). But the one thing stopping me from doing it is the way it looks. This has got to be the coolest looking laptop ever, period. I love the design of the case, I love it's color (Honestly, how many laptops do you see incased in blue rubber, even today?!) and it's just cool looking over all. Also, even though I could get one for much less today on ebay, I've had it for so long it would be like losing an old friend, and buying a replacment just wouldn't feel the same.

I'm at a loss here, what should I do, keep it around or trade it for the Windows notebook?

2. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

\keep it..the ibook is a legend...its amazing

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Absolutely not! You can get a Windows laptop from around 2000 for nothing. But why would you want one? They can't do anything. Keep the iBook for memories and collectors appeal. Go to Circuit City or Best Buy and pick up an open box cheap wintel pc laptop for about 300$.

No way would I sell it.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Do you have the box, discs, and manuals?

Sell to a collector, then take the money to purchase a Windows laptop.

Windows laptop "from the same era" are worth about $0.

5. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

Keep it man, dont waste your money on a PC. Its not worth it.

6. MacBooksRock macrumors regular

I used to have one just like that. I sold it for around $350... :)

7. mBurns macrumors 6502

I sold mine for $400 this past Christmas!

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

9. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Just to stick my oar in, please keep it! I'm sure like others said you can find a cheapie laptop, but it's worth saving money over a bit of time to get the Wintel machine you need and keep the ibook. Anyway, please keep the ibook, I'm so jealous you have one! They are the first computer I ever noticed, years before I ever had a computer at home! They rock ;)

10. iBookG4 FTW thread starter macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

You guys are right. I hadn't realized how cheap PC's had gotten in the past few years. I'm gonna keep the clamshell, and save my money for a while and buy an eMachines from Wal-Mart or something. Thanks.