Shoot an Iraqi Online.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, May 18, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

From Here:

I recently interviewed Wafaa Bilal, an Iraqi-American who teaches at the Art Institute of Chicago. He's currently part of an exhibit there called "Domestic Tension." There may be a lesson there for those who work in consolidated data centers.

Bilal moved his entire living room into the gallery and now spends 24 hours a day, 7 days a week over 30 days in an enclosed space, and his only companion is a paintball gun hooked up to a Web cam, which can be aimed and fired by people who go to a Web page.

And over the past 13 days, there have been over 6,500 shots taken at him. Some near his head - which, because he doesn't wear any protection other than goggles, can cause serious injury.

Even though shooting a man with a paintball gun over the Internet probably won't kill him, it seems to me to be more than art - but also a psychological test about the human condition. People who choose to aim and fire the gun at him are doing so knowing that they hurt him - but either they show no remorse when they inflict pain - a hypothesis that I'm not keen to accept but would be foolish to dismiss - or because the distance and remoteness of the location "on the Internet" is dehumanizing, and people do things anonymously behind an IP address that they'd never do when people can see your face.

Ahem, you can SHOOT HIM here.

http://www.networkperformancedaily.com/2007/05/interview_with_wafaa_bilal_les.html

and: http://www.turbulence.org/blog/archives/004261.html

I found this on another forum I frequent.

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Or it could be because people shoot their friends and have their friends shoot them for fun in real life.

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

He's wearing goggles now...

Statement or no statement, art or no art, I think this is just a little insane...

6. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i don't get how it works... he's not even there...

7. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Absolutely wild.

I had two and a half minutes to decide whether I'd shoot him. I looked around the room -- paint everywhere, other little targets set up (like his desk, and his chair and an aluminum can) ... and the time continuing to run down.

Time expires and I get a gun option. And so I have to decide -- am I going to paintball this guy? Directly across from the gun is a donate button -- forcing you to engage the false dilemma of false injury/false hope.

I took the easy way out. I closed the window (read: stopped dealing with it).

You should confront yourself with this.