Shooting 1080i, but my macbook is 720p, using fce

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Danzalone0510, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Danzalone0510 macrumors newbie

I just purchased FCE, i was looking on craigslist at getting a Sony HDR-HC1 1080i camcorder... It uses mini dv, i'm familiar with log and capture and all that... i'm just wondering If the camera shoots 1080i and my macbook only has a res of 720(progressive or interlaced not too sure..) what will happen to the image? i'm pretty sure its progressive.

Any help would be great.:)

2. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

Uhmmm, not sure what you mean.

If you just use other project settings to match your camera settings (1080i) (always advisable).

Or do you mean an other problem? more details would help.

3. G.T. macrumors 6502a

I think basically ur on about resolution, it will be fine if u export at 1080 or what ever you choose. Just u'll be editing on a smaller res screen. think of it like a digital camera, u can look at the pictures on the smaller screen on the camera but u can view images on a high res screen and it will be clearer.

so u can edit the 1080i footage as 1080i but just only view it downscaled

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

When editing, it's always advisable to have an external 'broadcast' monitor to view your project as it will be seen, not as it appears on your computer monitor's preview window. Even if it had an equal or higher resolution, what one would see on an HDTV for example, would not match what you see on the computer screen.

But I also agree that you will be editing in 1080i without issue...even though your computer screen cannot display that resolution.

5. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Not wanting to pick a fight, but, given the scope of the original question, this will only serve to confuse.

This, however, was sage.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That camcorder is an HDV (High Definition Video) camcorder, that records its footage to a miniDV tape.

HDV is an MPEG-2 stream, that gets converted to Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) during capture in FCE due to the compression algorithm of MPEG-2 not being suitable for editing.

HDV uses a maximum resolution of 1440 x 1080 with non-square (1.33) pixel aspect ratio, which FCE will correct to 1920 x 1080 (due to the square aspect ratio).

As was said before, the resolution of your display has nothing to do with what your editing application can handle.

As far as I know, no editing software really displays its footage in the original resolution, as that would take away to much screen space, thus external control monitors are used.

We edit SD footage with a resolution of 720 x 576 on two 1280 x 1024 displays, and the video is only displayed as a fourth of its original resolution.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant