Shooting a music video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Futhark, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

Hi i'm just wondering what techniques are best used when shooting a music video with multiple angles, I see videos with dozen of angles so how is this achieved? If you used loads of cameras shooting one take this would be expensive and each camera would probably catch the other camera people in the recording which isn't what we want to do. If we shoot using one camera and say want 30 Angles does this mean shooting the song from start to finish 30 times in the different angles?

I'm interested in hearing your feedback on this as it's something i'd really love to try in the very near future.

Many Thanks

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

You really need to create a shot list and/or storyboards before anyone can accurately give you advice. There are many different approaches, which include shooting different takes and multiple cameras. But without knowing specifically what you're trying to achieve, it's hard to point you in a certain direction.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Having just come off the back of shooting three music videos at the end of next year I can let you know that all are possibilities.

However, depending on your budget, actors, length of shoot and overall organisation one method will be more practical than the others.

For one of the videos we went with the performance overlaid with montages of scenes that created a story around the song.

For another we lip synched the whole song but knew which parts we wanted in certain locations and also had a shot list of what we wanted for B-roll.

You can shoot the entire song 30 times in 30 different locations but if you want to save money, time and effort then plan, plan, plan. There is a reason that on professional shoots preproduction and post production tend to take a lot longer than the actual production part!

4. Unami macrumors 6502a

on my last video-shooting i filmed about 15 takes from different angles of the band performing (and a story to intercut it with) - with the playback-audio it syncs up nicely as a multicam clip. the whole thing took more ore less a 9 to 5 day to shoot. most of it was improvised, hence the 15 takes. and i used my 2nd cam and my gopro for some shots, so i got a total of 19 angles in my multiclip. all in all it worked out pretty well, but you definitely can get away with less/get better footage if you're able to plan ahead.

5. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you all know how things go when I give this a shot :)

6. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Firstly, what edit system are you using?, how long is the song?, is it instrumental or singing?, what is your budget?, and how do you see it of doing?.:)

7. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

8. mBox macrumors 68020