Shooting footage and letting them edit?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by RebootD, Sep 20, 2010.

1. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I have a chance to work with a fairly large pharmaceutical company but they changed their mind of having me shoot some straightforward interviews/edit. Now they want me to just shoot the videos and hand over the tapes so their 'internal people' can edit it. Problem is I have no idea who they have or what they are capable of. (And they don't care to let me in on that info)

Is this a fairly normal request? Of course the downside is most of the money is made in the editing/authoring/animation so I don't know if I really want to take the gig. (It's out of state, 5hrs away).

Thoughts?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Send them another quote priced accordingly without edits.

3. jdesign macrumors member

agreed with Consultant, incorporate your travel time, time to tranfer the footages, hardrives.. etc. I don't see any advantage in terms exposure for you (can't use for your own portfolio) as they are doing the editing.
    So unless you got paid according your time and equipment, its not worth it.

4. gameface macrumors 6502

And if you take it, never, ever send your original tapes. If you are shooting on DV than dub to another set of tapes and send those or capture them and send a drive. Whatever you choose should be included time and materials in your bid.

And yes, this type of stuff happens all the time. Most DPs are not the editors.

5. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

The question of "how much do I charge for travel time" came up on Creative Cow. My favourite answer was (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I charge for travel time as much as I charge for shooting time. If I wasn't travelling, I'd be shooting. Why should I discount?"

Probably best to itemise the things that make up the price (so they know that a lot of stuff went into it), but just give one single price for the lot rather than a price for each task, otherwise you'll have them haggling over how much you are trying to charge for each task. In the minds of the bill payers, they may know they can't shoot video, so they'll leave your price alone on that one, but "anyone can copy files, dub a tape, drive a car" etc so they may question them if they can see what you are charging for them. Single price.

• videography (half day, full day etc)
    • logging
    • light hire
    • mic hire
    • travel
    • tape dubbing (call it "transfers" or "tape backups", otherwise they'll question why they are paying for it)
    • freight/postage/handling
    $Your Price

It's possible the company has an employee who makes corporate videos but can't/won't travel to this location but is entirely capable of editing what you have shot. Alternatively, they have no editor. The boss's nephew is on holidays and has iMovie on his MacBook and they're screwing you out of a job. Or maybe they had a camera and it's in for repair, or some tightwad doesn't want to buy a new camera.

See if you can contact the editor directly just to nail down what they want to work with. Don't mention dubbing or anything, just ask what he wants. Remember though they may not be authorised to request anything that could incur additional expenditure so keep it simple.

Mind you, I'm not in business so I probably have NFI. I'm the guy you'd be sending the tapes to if you did work for my employer. :D
    Outside shooters can make me look affordable because then the bosses realise how much time and effort go into video and how much it would cost if it all went to an outside company. Do a good job and the editor (who might swing a camera in head office but nowhere else) will sing your praises and next time someone asks him for advice on video, he'll remember your name. As long as you're not outrageously expensive, he won't care what you charge if the material is good, because that makes his job easy and makes him look good, too.

6. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Lots of replies thank you everyone. Shooting/editing video is a secondary part of my business so I don't have as much experience with these situations. In the past I've always done the shooting and editing myself. (Usually for corporate meetings, training etc).

Right, this is something I had to come up with because I charge less for the shoot and more for the editing (clients seem to deal with that arrangement better for some reason.) I should go back and rethink pricing for this project at least.

This is my thinking. If it was local no big deal but traveling for a gig that I can't even use on my site as an example just seems like a waste of time. Yes it is money but I make money here as well!

Another good point. More than likely I would transfer them to a hard drive and charge them for my time (so I make some money past the filming.) Plus if you just shoot and someone else edits, do you usually have an agreement with them so you can use the finished footage for your own promotions?

7. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Thanks for the detailed reply. I generally itemize the bill into several categories:

1. Half Day/Full Day price
    2. Mileage/Travel expenses
    3. Editing/Titling/Graphics
    4. Authoring/DVD Production (because not everyone wants hard copies)

Good points on contacting their editor if possible. I'm currently working for COMPANY A who is funded by COMPANY B who just wants the tapes and have their people edit it.. so far no luck with getting details but I'm still trying.

Oh and don't worry about being outrageously expensive! I'm the guy you call because your company can't/won't afford a more expensive crew or you just need a single camera/two light/wireless mic gig completed. I've even declined work because I could tell they 'need' a professional crew and not my one-man-show production and suggested some local places.

Again thank you for all the advice.

8. martinX macrumors 6502a

martinX

Maybe they think anyone - even them - can swing a camera, but that editing thing is beyond them, so it must be hard.