Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I go to a lot of baseball and football games, and sometimes my seats are not the closest to the field, sometimes even in the upper deck level. I'm a bit new to photography but just bought a Nikon DSLR and am wondering what would be a good lens to use to get good shots of the field from fairly far away?

I don't want anything too big, and the smaller and lighter the better, but I want something that can zoom fairly far.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I go to a lot of baseball and football games, and sometimes my seats are not the closest to the field, sometimes even in the upper deck level. I'm a bit new to photography but just bought a Nikon DSLR and am wondering what would be a good lens to use to get good shots of the field from fairly far away?

I don't want anything too big, and the smaller and lighter the better, but I want something that can zoom fairly far.

Considering that the guys who shoot from field level are mostly using focal lengths from 200-400mm, you're going to need one heck of a long lens to get shots from the upper deck.

A 70-200 could be good from up there, but you're not going to get a close-up, if that's what you're after.

Frankly, from the upper deck, I'd be trying to get nice wide-angle shots. Scott Kelby posted some nice WA and fisheye shots he took at Wrigley Field a few weeks ago. That's the type of thing I think you'll be happy with from the upper decks.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Considering that the guys who shoot from field level are mostly using focal lengths from 200-400mm, you're going to need one heck of a long lens to get shots from the upper deck.

A 70-200 could be good from up there, but you're not going to get a close-up, if that's what you're after.

Frankly, from the upper deck, I'd be trying to get nice wide-angle shots. Scott Kelby posted some nice WA and fisheye shots he took at Wrigley Field a few weeks ago. That's the type of thing I think you'll be happy with from the upper decks.

No, I know I wouldn't get a close up, but just wanted to get as much zoom as possible without having a some huge lens.

I do like the wide shots, but they can get boring if you've already taken a few of them at a previous game.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I went to a Mets game with an 18-70 and was on the upper deck. I think I would've been able to get in with the 55-200 but was worried it would've been too big a lens to take in.

As a consequence, the pictures weren't as awesome as I would have liked. Was still brilliant and the photos are a good memory of my first ever baseball game...

Wacky Jackson

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
California
I took 15-55 and 55-200 and it was a perfect combo for the baseball game. The 55-200 gave me a pretty good close up. But I was on the lower level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.