Shooting Hd But Editing Sd???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Bonesone4, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Bonesone4 macrumors regular

Hey Guys Quick Question. What Is Meant Someone Says They Shoot In High Def But Then Its A Good Idea To Edit In Standard Def??? I Get The Whole Concept But Not Really Sure How The Whole Workflow Works. If U Shoot In Hd, Are They Saying U Should Convert It To Sd And Edit The Movie That Way??? And Then From There, Export It Out Back To Hd????can Someone Explain A Little Bit To Me? Im Confused.

Bones

2. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

What that means is to record video onto tape in a HighDef format (such as HDV) but convert it to the lower-resolution Standard Definition format for editing. This conversion can be done by some cameras (as the footage is captured into the computer), or it could be done in software on your computer after you first transfer your HighDef material from the camera into your computer.

Why would you want to do that? If your final delivery will be made on SD media (or low-resolution computer video files), it may be easier to edit in an SD format: lower computing needs for rendering in the editing software, maybe fewer compression artifacts from edits in a DV timeline as opposed to an HDV timeline, etc.

So why not shoot in SD to begin with? Well, one day you may want to reuse your footage in another project that needs to produce HD media. Another practical reason is that today's HD cameras handle the widescreen (16:9) aspect ratio very well, whereas the same cannot be said for many SD cameras, especially the cheaper ones. So shooting (widescreen) HD and then edit (also widescreen SD) can be a convenient solution.

- Martin

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

some people may not have a computer capable of editing hi-def footage. you can convert the footage to SD, edit in FCP, and then relink the edits to the HD files.

4. Bonesone4 thread starter macrumors regular

relink the edits to the original HD files? hmmm...well...heres my deal. I just purchased a Sony HDR FX1 camera and want to start shooting footage in HD. I currently use Final Cut Express HD to make all my edits and also use quite a bit of After Effects. any suggestions on the workflow for this??

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you don't really need to worry about editing in SD with your FX1 footage...

for doing work with AE, I would just reference your captured clips to do the work and then export in DVCPRO HD or maybe Apple's Intermediate Codec. ProRes would be good, but I don't think you can use that right now with either FCE or AE.

I grew up in Pittsford.. where in Rochester are you?

6. Bonesone4 thread starter macrumors regular

OK thanks...I live in greece currently. Small world huh?