Shooting in the rain

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mikeos, Jun 7, 2012.

  1. mikeos macrumors newbie

    Jun 16, 2011
    Weather forcast where I live is rain all week.
    I still want to be out shooting, but my camera (fuji x100) isn't weather sealed.

    Does anyone have any DIY tips for me to help prevent it getting too wet?

    I was thinking wrapping it in cling film?!
  2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030


    Jan 11, 2007
    I've seen people cover their cameras with ziplock bags. Usually one surrounding the body with a hole cut with the lens protruding. Then a 2nd bag draped over the lens itself.

    Be sure you open up the camera when pure done and allow it to dry up with the batteries removed if it gets wet!

    P.S. raining off and on here for over 8 days straight here! I feel your pain. Missed Venus transit thanks to the weather. :/
  3. puckhead193 macrumors G3


    May 25, 2004
  4. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

    Apr 13, 2010
    I used cling film be for I got a weather sealed camera! It works fine!! Just make sure you dry it before you take it off, and ensure that it's pretty baggy round the lens area so auto focus doesn't run into poblems..
  5. snberk103 macrumors 603

    Oct 22, 2007
    An Island in the Salish Sea
    Shoot from inside a car (window down, of course). Shoot from under the eaves of buildings. Shoot interiors - the soft diffused light of an overcast day is magic in some buildings - you'll need a tripod, or if tripods aren't allowed its a wonderful opportunity to see how else you can steady your camera - take it as a challenge, eh? Stick an umbrella (a big one) on a tripod, and then stand under the umbrella - though it doesn't work on windy days. Set-up a table top studio at home and shoot still-lifes.

    I feel your pain... I'm in the middle of temperate rainforest.
  6. ChrisA, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

    ChrisA macrumors G4

    Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California

    They make these very think bag-like covers that have a glass filter-like window. They are good enough that you can take a camera into a swimming pool. True underwater housings are very expensive and typically cost more then a camera but these are only moderately expensive.

    They also make "rain capes" these are cheeper and are basically a very thick bag with an open bottom and a clear glass window.

    One company that sells these is "EWA Marine". These are good but expensive. you can find cheaper ones if you hunt.

    I own a few true underwater housings. They are big and bulky. If you are a diver look into one. You can buy them used at less cost.

    One could make a rain cape. Start with a glass screw-in filter. Then cut some vinyl from a child's plastic beach ball. Make a hole in the vinyl and silicone seal the filter to the vinyl. It could work for light rain

Share This Page