Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YuriVoorhak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
For a variety of reasons, I'm just not going to get a DSLR.

But as a visual artist (and complete photo noob), I need to squeeze relatively DSLR performance out of a compact. I'd also like room to become a bit less of a photo noob. :)

To my tin eye, the LX3 just seems to take better photos all around, but little of the sample stuff I've seen from either is very relevant to my primary use. If I were just looking for something to shoot around the city with, the high ISO performance of the LX3 would be a no brainer. But would the G10's extra pixels make a difference when it comes to shooting art? It sure is easier to find. The thought of resorting to ebay, or worse, breaking the bank for the Leica DLUX 4 makes me a little queasy. Is the G10 simply getting a bad rap? Any input is greatly appreciated.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
For a variety of reasons, I'm just not going to get a DSLR.

But as a visual artist (and complete photo noob), I need to squeeze relatively DSLR performance out of a compact. I'd also like room to become a bit less of a photo noob. :)

To my tin eye, the LX3 just seems to take better photos all around, but little of the sample stuff I've seen from either is very relevant to my primary use. If I were just looking for something to shoot around the city with, the high ISO performance of the LX3 would be a no brainer. But would the G10's extra pixels make a difference when it comes to shooting art? It sure is easier to find. The thought of resorting to ebay, or worse, breaking the bank for the Leica DLUX 4 makes me a little queasy. Is the G10 simply getting a bad rap? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Only possible on an Olympus PEN, or other dSLR sensor-sized P&S.

I say spend the money on the camera with the largest sensor possible so you can shoot your art in high ISO without distracting flash.

You're better off getting a Nikon D40 kit - cheaper than a high-end P&S in some cases.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
If you're looking for high ISO performance, you won't find it in a P&S. I own an LX3, and anything above 400 is noisy. Just because it has ISO 3200, doesn't mean it should ever be used :). If you're going to be shooting artwork, are you able to touch this artwork? If so, I'd invest in a lightbox as well, so you don't need to resort to high ISO's. (This depends on the size of the artwork, obviously) I'm sure the Canon G10 is a good camera, I don't have any experience with it. I was looking at it when I decided on the LX3. I just found it to be too bulky for the purpose of a P&S camera.

If it's something you want to use beyond taking photos of artwork, then make sure you get the camera that works best for you. Try out both in a store (if you can find an LX3). If you want, I'll post images from my LX3 in low light so you can see how it does above 400.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
If you're serious about results, then spending money on lighting is going to help more than not. Light: Science and Magic has a pretty good chapter on shooting art if I recall correctly.

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
Ok, so I took some test shots of a picture on a wall in my house at ISO 800, 1600, 3200. I've cropped them down at 100% to show the noise level for each picture.

Here they are, the first two files are the picture at 800 and 1600 ISO, full size. The pictures below are of the text, cropped, at 800, 1600 and 3200 ISO respectively. As you can see, at 1600 the noise is pretty bad and at 3200 the image is unusable in colour. You could recover the noise at 800 ISO, but really, lighting is key here. You want even, flat light if you're going to shoot art.

Don't let this put you off the LX3, it's an amazing camera, the ability to use the lens at f/2.0 helps keep you from using high ISO's.

Attachments

• iso800.jpg
    iso800.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 286
  • iso1600.jpg
    iso1600.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 305
  • iso3200.jpg
    iso3200.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 286
  • P1000650.jpg
    P1000650.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 69
  • P1000651.jpg
    P1000651.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 61

davegregory

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
Burlington, Ontario
The thing costs as much as a dSLR...

Hardly worth it for a camera with such a small sensor...

I don't disagree with you at all. I own a dSLR as well. But honestly, there are days where I just do not want to carry around a big heavy camera. The LX3 is small and light, it's a fantastic camera. But it's not an SLR and it is expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.