Shooting RAW on an SE

I-user

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Anyone has found a significant improvement in image quality in shooting RAW on and Iphone SE or any Iphone?

If so, what is your preferred workflow to the final image?

Ben

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
With RAW you have to edit the image. If you know what you’re doing, RAW will always net a better final image.

Think of it like a cake.

JPEG is an already baked cake, no effort required by the user.

RAW gives you all the ingredients to bake that cake yourself.

Edits you make with a RAW file have more room to move (highlights, shadows, and such) because it contains all the data the sensor captured. JPEG is compress, contains less data, therefore less data to work with.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

I-user

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
With RAW you have to edit the image. If you know what you’re doing, RAW will always net a better final image.

Think of it like a cake.

JPEG is an already baked cake, no effort required by the user.

RAW gives you all the ingredients to bake that cake yourself.

Edits you make with a RAW file have more room to move (highlights, shadows, and such) because it contains all the data the sensor captured. JPEG is compress, contains less data, therefore less data to work with.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware of what it means and takes to shoot RAW - was just wondering if there was a significant difference with iphone or not.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware of what it means and takes to shoot RAW - was just wondering if there was a significant difference with iphone or not.
A digital image is a digital image. Benefits of RAW doesn’t matter what the camera was that took it.

I-user

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
A digital image is a digital image. Benefits of RAW doesn’t matter what the camera was that took it.
Usually there is a significant difference with a DSLR. Was just wondering how "Significant" it was with an Iphone :)

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Usually there is a significant difference with a DSLR. Was just wondering how "Significant" it was with an Iphone :)
But we’re not comparing dslr vs iPhone. We’re conparing jpeg (and now HEIF on newer devices) vs RAW.

I-user

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Yes we are. But you don't seem to understand the question. Maybe others will :)

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Yes we are. But you don;t seem to understand the question. Maybe others will :)
“Yes we are” ??? So we are comparing dslr vs iPhone now? You never mentioned that in your OP.

You’re not understanding the answer.

RAW, no matter what camera you’re using (if you know how to edit them) will always be the better final image than taking a JPEG on the same camera.

I-user

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
I know it will always be better. Just wondering if its' worth the effort in shooting on iphone in raw

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
I know it will always be better. Just wondering if its' worth the effort in shooting on iphone in raw
I don’t think anyone can tell you wether or not your effort is worth it when it’s you putting in the time and effort and not them.

You know the benefits to RAW, only you can decide if it’s worth your time and effort of having to edit every photo manually.

To some RAW is worth it, to others it’s not (and this applies to ALL digital camera types)

Time and quality vs speed and convenience.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
Anyone has found a significant improvement in image quality in shooting RAW on and Iphone SE or any Iphone?

If so, what is your preferred workflow to the final image?

Ben
YES. There is a significant difference between stock jpg output and jpgs from processed raw.
The OP appears to know about raw and processing so no need to pound him with “larger files, takes more storage” etc. He simply asked if there is a significant difference.
I have a 7 Plus, however my statement holds for every phone (along with every DSLR and mirrorless camera) that I’ve ever used that can produce raw output.

I-user

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
YES. There is a significant difference between stock jpg output and jpgs from processed raw.
The OP appears to know about raw and processing so no need to pound him with “larger files, takes more storage” etc. He simply asked if there is a significant difference.
I have a 7 Plus, however my statement holds for every phone (along with every DSLR and mirrorless camera) that I’ve ever used that can produce raw output.
Thanks for your reply and thanks for getting it.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
Uhhhhhhhh...

No one at all pounded the OP with “larger files, takes more storage”. So no clue where you’re getting that from.

And all you’ve managed to say was exactly what I said. Yes, there is a difference and benefit to using RAW on an iPhone.
[doublepost=1508731543][/doublepost]
Thanks for your reply and thanks for getting it.
Getting what? He gave you the same answer I did. And that was, yes there is a difference, RAW is better even on an iPhone.

And all you did was argue my answer.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Even then it varies. Typically the software that you would use to process something out of camera differs considerably from whatever is applied in camera. If you're not going to adjust much, the regular software may do a better job, depending on how well it's tuned. The nice thing about having raw available is that depending on what they regard as "raw", third parties might be able to write better tools. It's important to note that there's no real consensus as to how much processing may be applied until it's no longer considered a raw image. Many of them write the floating point values from the AD converter to some encoded file and label that raw. I doubt Apple does that, as that wouldn't be a rasterized image.

I-user

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 17, 2017
Uhhhhhhhh...

No one at all pounded the OP with “larger files, takes more storage”. So no clue where you’re getting that from.

And all you’ve managed to say was exactly what I said. Yes, there is a difference and benefit to using RAW on an iPhone.
[doublepost=1508731543][/doublepost]

Getting what? He gave you the same answer I did. And that was, yes there is a difference, RAW is better even on an iPhone.

And all you did was argue my answer.
You simply failed to understand what was being said. No problem, just move on to another thread. No big deal.
[doublepost=1508748312][/doublepost]
Even then it varies. Typically the software that you would use to process something out of camera differs considerably from whatever is applied in camera. If you're not going to adjust much, the regular software may do a better job, depending on how well it's tuned. The nice thing about having raw available is that depending on what they regard as "raw", third parties might be able to write better tools. It's important to note that there's no real consensus as to how much processing may be applied until it's no longer considered a raw image. Many of them write the floating point values from the AD converter to some encoded file and label that raw. I doubt Apple does that, as that wouldn't be a rasterized image.
I did some testing and in some instances RAW on Iphone works better but I way prefer the workflow with the photos app on mac.