iPad mini Shop Discover 5% Cashback on iPad Retina Mini Changed

Discussion in 'iPad' started by doxielover, Nov 15, 2013.

1. doxielover macrumors 6502a

doxielover

I bought iPad mini on Nov 12 silent launch. At that time iPad mini retina was NOT listed as an exclusion but noticed today it has been added along with the iPhone 5S and iPad Air as NOT qualifying for the 5% Cashback. Now what?

2. siurpeeman, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

with the iphone 5s and the ipad air already excluded, it only made sense that they would exclude the ipad mini. what can you do?

*edit*
    if you're really looking for a deal, you're probably better off buying an ipad for a discounted price on black friday. target's $100/75 gift card offer is certainly better than 5%.

3. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

I hope you discover card holders know that you are covered automatically by the following membership benefits (even when buying this iPad air/ipad mini):

1) up to 90 days of protection against your item being STOLEN or DAMAGED. Yes, you can get it replaced/repaired up to $500 per occurrence and up to $1000 total annually

2) automatically add ONE ADDITIONAL YEAR of warranty on top of you're iPad. Actually, if your item has a max of 5 years or less, you are covered for an additional year on top of your products max warranty.

If you carry a costco amex card, it's the same but for #1, you only get coverage up to $300. If you have a regular amex, it's $1000 per occurrence and $10,000 max per year. If you have a platinum amex, that's $10,000 per occurrence and $50k/annually! same for the black amex (aka centurion amex)

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the purchase protection on the costco amex is the same as any other amex (save for platinum cards and up). it's $1000 per incident and up to $50k/yr. for platinum, it's $10k per incident and $50k/yr. platinum holders are also covered for lost items (regular amex only covers theft, no accidental loss).

platinum
    green
    blue
    costco

i think you got the $300 number from the return protection, which the costco card lacks. on my blue amex, it's $300 per purchase, limited to $1000 annually.

5. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

I stand corrected thank you for the links!

6. doxielover, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

doxielover thread starter macrumors 6502a

doxielover

Thanks I know about all the warranties and protection but shouldn't I be entitled to the shop discover 5% cash-back since at that time it didn't exclude rMini?

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Have they told you would wouldn't get the cash back, or are you just worrying about it?

As to being entitled, that could be argued either way. On one hand it didn't say it was excluded at the time, on the other hand they've done that at least since the ipad3.

8. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Good luck trying to argue that with a customer service drone. You'll probably have to go to court to get them to agree to timelines and by that time it won't be worth it...

9. PLin macrumors 6502

That always seems to happen with Shop Discover. The iPad Air also wasn't listed as excluded on the Nov 1 release date but was added the next day. I think Discover is just a bit slow at publishing the updated terms that Apple sends them, but the bottom line is that if Apple doesn't give Discover their affiliate commission, you probably won't get anything. It's possible that a nice customer service rep could manually adjust your total accrued cashback, but it probably depends in your account history with them.

10. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I thought about this. I ordered the rMini when the exclusions still wasn't posted on their website.

Oh well. :(

11. dloreski macrumors member

Don't forget though that Discover is giving 5% cash back (up to $1,500) on all online purchases as their current quarterly promotion now.
    So in that respect you will get the 5%

12. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

If the model you want is available on Target.com, Discover is still offering 5% cash back from that retailer. Even Walmart.com.

13. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

After rifling through the fine print, I believe the current terms are valid and the rMini is excluded. The 'effective' date is the date your card is actually charged (not pending). I also ordered on launch night and STILL haven't been charged. So...I believe Discover may have the upper hand in this argument. It's only ~$20 anyway :)

14. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

This makes me sad. Oh well.
    For me, it would've been $45 (16GB + 32GB).

15. JSalig macrumors 6502

It's possible that you can get the full 10% discount though Best Buy online. I don't think they're allowing online orders for the rMini just yet though.

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Now you call Discover and ask them.

17. WilliamG macrumors 604

Same thing happened to me. Bought two mini retinas at 12:03am PST launch day at Apple.com. Checked the exclusions and nothing there. I'll get Discover to address it like I did with the iMac I bought last year when the same thing happened.

18. twoehr macrumors member

Same thing happened to me when I bought my 4S. Now I know and just don't use that discount. I forget half the Shop Discover discounts until afterwards, its a shame, because they are pretty good.

On the Best Buy one, doesn't it exclude phones, tablets, and computers?

19. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Now that you mention it, I have not yet received my e-mails (like I normally do by now) from Discover stating that I got the extra 5% cash back bonus. The retina iPad mini definitely was NOT on the list when I ordered that morning.

20. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

I DID get an email for a $1.92 cash back bonus...for the $39 Smart Cover I bought. That half of y'all (it seems) got for free.

21. aggieastrosfan macrumors member

I ordered the Air via ShopDiscover before it was listed as an exclusion. I did get the extra 5% cash back, totaling almost 10% since I got the online purchase bonus also. Got an email notification of the cash back bonus after about a week, and my billing period closed on Monday, and it did get credited to my account. So for those of you who ordered the mini before they added it, there is hope you'll still get it!

22. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I still see nothing from Discover (like I normally do) indicating that I am getting the 5% cash back bonus. I may just return it to Apple. It's a fair amount of money, especially since the wife usually uses those bonuses towards gift cards that are 80 cents on the dollar.

Another option when browsing the Discover site...do we get 5% back from Best Buy if buying an iPad? Tablets and iPads are not listed in the exclusions. If so, and on top of the 1.25% Elite Plus bonus from Best Buy, that might be a better option (assuming they don't consider iPads "laptops").

23. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I purchased mine right when it went on sale via Shop Discover. Yesterday I got an email stating I was getting $30.05 cash back. This is not the normal 5% that is offered for online purchases. This is the additional since it was used by Shop Discover. So I guess I lucked out. :)

24. obiegrad macrumors newbie

When the iPhone 5 came out, I bought it before the terms excluded it. I initially did not get the 5% (though I did on Apple Care) but I e-mailed Discover and they credited it once I explained that I did not see the exclusion on the page initially.