Shopping Cart that Easiest to Customize

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Smalss, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Smalss macrumors member

Just wondering with your guys experience, what is the easiest FREE shopping cart system to customize?

2. john1620b macrumors member

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I did a lot of researching on this when launching my own store, and the one that turned out to be the best was OpenCart. It's based on a MVC architecture which is easy to understand, and creating templates (if you know HTML and a little PHP) is not hard at all.

There's a few features that are still missing (wishlist, store credit, layered navigation, etc.) but those things are supposed to be coming in the next version 1.5.0. The documentation is also a little lacking, which will hopefully be remedied in the future. It's still a solid package right now, and it's my cart-of-choice.

3. Smalss thread starter macrumors member

has anyone had any experience with Magento? Looks like there is a large community for that one.

4. john1620b macrumors member

I played around with it a bit, and liked the interface and everything you could do with it. It's definitely impressive. When I researched it, however, numerous sources said it's a resource hog, and will slow down if you have a lot of categories or products. I don't know if that's changed since I looked at it a few months ago — you could ask about people's experience and store setups in the Magento forums.