shopping for device to convert vhs tapes to digital

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by furcalchick, Nov 19, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

Dec 19, 2006
    South Florida
    i've been looking for a while for a pc compatible product that can convert vhs tapes to a digital format that can be stored on an external hard drive, with no luck. the few i've seen, either they are too expensive or too much of a hassle. and i would like to buy it for black friday due to the markdown on the prices, so help me find the perfect converter.

here are the ones i've seen so far:

i'm also willing to take other recommendations as well. thanks.
  2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

May 20, 2004
    I had a ton of VHS tapes to convert to computer, some which were straight transfers to DVD for archiving purposes and some that were to be further edited and honestly, I blew off going straight from VHS to computer a long time ago. It was too annoying and i hated that doing so tied up my computer while the transfer was in progress.

What I did was bought an inexpensive VHS/DVD combo deck and did a straight transfer of each tape onto a separate DVD. Then, I tossed the VHS tapes into a box for storage. For those resulting DVDs that were straight archive, there was nothing further to be done. For those that required further editing, I used Handbrake to rip the unencrypted DVDs into the computer and went from there.

This way, I ended up with a DVD archive of each tape and I didn't tie up my computer while making the transfers and the only hardware I bought was a DVD/VHS player that was useful after I'd finished the transfer process.