Shopping for your wife?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Linuxpro, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Linuxpro, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015

Linuxpro macrumors regular

The ladies will have a laugh. The guys can laugh as well. You know you have been in this situation before. :)

My wife asked for some workout pants. So while I was on a trip to the USA (she often gives me shopping lists), I stopped into Dick's Sporting Goods. I found the Adidas pants that she would want. But of course I have no idea what size. I located another woman in the store that I sized up as being about the same size as my wife. I asked her. She was very helpful. The pants fit my wife perfectly.

Now I have a more difficult problem. She wants some yoga pants (yaba daba doo!). Ok, well do I just wander around in the ladies yoga pants department until I can find a women that is about the same size?

I can just picture the situation. "Excuse me! Can you help me? Your booty is about the same as my wife's booty. What size yoga pants would you buy?". I might look a little silly. :eek:

So ladies would you think I was trying to score or something? Honestly I just need help shopping.

Edit: My wife is Asian. We live in Singapore. USA sizes are not the same. What you call a medium might be XXL to her.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You could always try asking your wife what size to buy...

3. Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to mention that we live in Singapore. The sizes are not the same in the USA.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

5. Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

For men to look at. I like seeing women in yoga pants almost as much as I like belly dancers!

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If it's a branded item it'll state multiple countries as the size

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

mmMm... Yoga pants...

Anyway, just ask the people at the store, they will surely help you - Or, even better, bring a pair of your wifes regular pants. Or prehaps, *gasp*, your wife.. :p

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ask a woman in the store. I've been asked many times in a store by women what size I am or if I like an item.

Don't forget to post pictures of your wife in the yoga pants so we can see if you got the right size.

HINT: Buy them a size small. :p

9. Linuxpro, Sep 11, 2015

Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

I just checked. The Adidas workout pants that I bought her last year, in the USA, have only USA, and UK sizing on them. My wife says the cut, and design differs as well, and that is only for Adidas. Nike is very different in the Asia vs USA market.

She has yet to find yoga pants anyplace in Singapore that she can try on, to determine the size. Remember that only maybe 1 in 10 Asian women can appropriately fill out their pants, so the market for yoga pants is somewhat limited.

A quick internet search lists some stores that say they carry them. I guess she did not see a style she likes or something. I really have no idea. She just sends me pictures of what to buy usually.

10. Linuxpro, Sep 11, 2015

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Why don't you search the web to find the conversion from US to Singapore sizes.

And why is this in PRSI?

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given Singapore has more than a few shopping malls surely somewhere will sell them? Perhaps some western brands in a mall off Orchard Road? Or that department store that sells everything in Little India?

13. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I know, right? Even with the country sizing being different, in about 30 seconds I found a bunch of resources for converting every size, and a couple even had regional "body type" factored in. I shop for my wife all the time, I just scored her a bathing suit from a surf shop ... messaged her "what size", get size, shop a few, shot a few photos and sent it to her to get a better sense of which style she wanted.

This thread has an odd, slightly creepy undercurrent ...

14. Scepticalscribe, Sep 11, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Good grief. I am astonished that the OP, firstly, claims not to know what size his wife wears, and secondly, seems unable to access an appropriate size conversion table.

Moreover, I find it incredible that he is apparently unable to write down what size his wife says she takes, and check with stores in the US, or online. Or - for that matter - that he has not been able to check with Asian businesses in the US, and then seek to convert it.

In any case, I'm female, and do a lot of shopping abroad, - or online sometimes - and I always avail of conversion tables. They are very useful.

Singapore is not a Third World country with poor infrastructure, a lousy economy and limited education - (I have worked in such countries in Asia).

Instead, it boasts a rather good educational system and it is a business and commercial centre with a strong customer service ethos. Therefore, to be honest, I find it hard to imagine that obtaining size conversion tables of comparable sizes used in both the US (which leans increasingly toward the Pacific Rim countries with advanced economies while seeking to do business) and Singapore is all that difficult to source.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

You are not seriously thinking of using such a line of conversation, I hope.

To answer your question, no, I wouldn't think you were trying to score (or, put another way, you'd not meet with much by way of success if you were). However, I might think you were sleazy/creepy and/or incompetent. Neither are remotely attractive.

16. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

But then he wouldn't get the attention that he is seeking. ;)

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

OP may be newlywed (which for me means, married under 10 years;)). I know my wife's pants size, blouse size, panty size, bra size, shoe size... the works. But I never buy clothing for her unless she's with me. According to her (and my daughter), I have zero fashion sense.:oops:

Cloth shopping with her involves me securing every item of clothing in her size (1P pants, XS blouse, 5 1/2 shoe...) which is quite a task in itself. She choose what she likes from my meager scavenging.

18. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

When I first saw the thread, I took the title literally in that you were shopping around for a wife :D.

As far as clothing, too bad you can't purchase a few different sizes and return what doesn't fit.

19. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Funny thread. I heard a stand up comedian tell a joke recently about how yoga pants are worn for everything... except yoga! :p

20. Linuxpro, Sep 11, 2015

We got married last year. I have gone to the USA , or Canada, three times since last year. All three times she either asked me the day of my departure, or in a text message after I arrived. The list usually contains a half dozen items. You guys that are married have been there, I am sure you know what I am talking about.

The only non "suprise" purchase was when I took her bra with me on the trip to Fredrick's. That was my idea. :)

When going on the trip I seldom have the presence of mind to think of things like looking up a size chart. I am 50. :eek:

I bought shoes, pants, a shirt, perfume, lipstick, hair color, and some night cream stiff, all on one trip and got it all right.

21. Scepticalscribe, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What has reaching the half century in terms of years - in other words, 50 - got to do with anything? If you can start a thread about this, you can certainly consult a size conversion table.

Why have you mentioned - twice - that you thought to bring her bra - entirely spontaneously it seems - with you when shopping abroad?

Reading the thread, I thought that you were looking to buy yoga pants for your wife.

22. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

My husband would have no clue what size I wear in anything. Of course, it would never occur to me to ask him to buy me clothes or shoes. Even with a picture. (Although I sometimes send him a photo of a food item to buy at the supermarket in a pinch.)

I would tell your wife that you are sorry, but you will not buy her clothes on your business trips, but you will happily take her anywhere to go shopping when you return - even if it means both of you getting on a plane to go somewhere to do the shopping.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I think we know why.

24. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

@Linuxpro

Yoga pants are usually XS, S, M, L. My ex wife is Chinese (110 lbs) and was mostly XS and sometimes S. She bought the bulk of her fitness clothes at Athleta and Luluemon. (She is very athletic and fit. They almost always fit.)

Other clothes were very difficult because not only are American sizes different than Asian, they are cut differently. She had most fitting problems in the waist and butt.

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

To be fair my wife wears different sizes in different brands. I know what size in a particular style of jeans and a couple of brands of tops but to move out of that happy zone I'd be pretty lost.