Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pultz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Hey guys - I'm new around here :)

I'm a PC only user going 100% Apple ASAP - but I've got some questions about what to buy - hope you got the answers ;)

I work with highend 3D daily using 3dsmax among other programs - but 3dsmax is more the less the only app that doesn't have a OSX version - and we'll be switching to Maya in the near future. (watch our showreel at www.resetfilm.dk)

What I want to buy:

Workstation (for highend 2D/3D and compositing)
Mid-range computer (for private stuff like photos etc.)

Workstation:
Obviously, the updated Mac Pro is perfect as a workstation - but I HAVE to get a Cinema Display as well for aesthetic reasons. This is problematic because these haven't been updated for years - and I guess an updated version with better specs and iSight could be announced any day? What do you guys think?

Mid-range computer:
I guess the iMac is the way to go here, but there are a couple of things: The MacRumors Buyer's Guide has the "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" - I'm a bit confused here cause the iMac got updated in Oct. last year? So why would it be at an end stage in the life cycle? Also I guess it will be a while before it got upgraded again?
About the RAM for iMac (and any Apple product) - I'd upgrade it myself - but I would need a bit of help here. Any preferences? I just know it needs to be SODIMM 200-pins, DDR2 PC5300.

Thanks! This is an awesome forum btw. :D

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
Hey guys - I'm new around here :)

I'm a PC only user going 100% Apple ASAP - but I've got some questions about what to buy - hope you got the answers ;)

I work with highend 3D daily using 3dsmax among other programs - but 3dsmax is more the less the only app that doesn't have a OSX version - and we'll be switching to Maya in the near future. (watch our showreel at www.resetfilm.dk)

What I want to buy:

Workstation (for highend 2D/3D and compositing)
Mid-range computer (for private stuff like photos etc.)

Workstation:
Obviously, the updated Mac Pro is perfect as a workstation - but I HAVE to get a Cinema Display as well for aesthetic reasons. This is problematic because these haven't been updated for years - and I guess an updated version with better specs and iSight could be announced any day? What do you guys think?

Mid-range computer:
I guess the iMac is the way to go here, but there are a couple of things: The MacRumors Buyer's Guide has the "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle" - I'm a bit confused here cause the iMac got updated in Oct. last year? So why would it be at an end stage in the life cycle? Also I guess it will be a while before it got upgraded again?
About the RAM for iMac (and any Apple product) - I'd upgrade it myself - but I would need a bit of help here. Any preferences? I just know it needs to be SODIMM 200-pins, DDR2 PC5300.

Thanks! This is an awesome forum btw. :D

Hi. Welcome to MacRumors.

Mac Pro: Excellent choice. Yes, the cinema displays are due to be updated (Apple have stated that they are aiming to make all their displays LED displays by the end of 2008). But no-one knows when. The rumours were saying MWSF but like alot of other things, it didn't happen.

I'm not sure if they would do this sort of thing as a silent update, but Steve Jobs did do a couple of "special one-off" keynotes for new products last year, but I wouldn't have thought it'd happen too close to MWSF. (You could always buy a Mac Pro and buy a cheap screen to tide you over until the new cinema displays come out).

iMac: Again, a great choice. They were actually updated in August 2007, when they recieved a full redesign. They are however due a hardware update (such as CPU, GPU, etc).

RAM: Depends where you live. If you live in US, people seem to recommend OWC. If you live in UK, I'd go with crucial (currently £65 for 4GB). Their website also offers a good memory selection tool to make sure you get the right RAM.

Have you thought about perhaps buying a Mac Pro/iMac for your main machine and a notebook for your other?

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
Don't take this the wrong way but if you have enough money to buy a Mac Pro, cinema display, and an iMac for casual use, I wouldn't worry about upcoming updates too much. Besides if the cinema display does get an update soon after you buy it, you can always sell it and get a new one. ;)

pultz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
@swiftaw

Thanks for the link - I guess I would go for OWC if I lived in US, but I'm from Denmark - sorry, that essential information should have been in the original post :)

@gazfocus

Thank you! :) - and thanks for the reply. Looks like its going to be Crucial RAM I'm getting - really nice selection tool as you said. Quite strange that no online vendors/shops in DK has these, so they have to be shipped - NP :)

Mac Pro: Excellent choice. Yes, the cinema displays are due to be updated (Apple have stated that they are aiming to make all their displays LED displays by the end of 2008). But no-one knows when. The rumours were saying MWSF but like alot of other things, it didn't happen.

I'm not sure if they would do this sort of thing as a silent update, but Steve Jobs did do a couple of "special one-off" keynotes for new products last year, but I wouldn't have thought it'd happen too close to MWSF. (You could always buy a Mac Pro and buy a cheap screen to tide you over until the new cinema displays come out).

Good point, I guess I could buy a 22" HP that cost less than half the price of the 23" Cinema Display. It would also fit with my current PC's 22" HP display (which my girlfriend btw. will get when I buy the Macs) until the new Cinema Displays are announced. The alternative would be to buy an iMac instead (so I won't have to buy a display), but as you say, the hardware updates are probably pretty imminent.

Have you thought about perhaps buying a Mac Pro/iMac for your main machine and a notebook for your other?

Also a great idea - that would also replace the 17" laptop I've got for administrative uses, which is just heavy and not very mobile (and is a PC - hehe). Perhaps an iMac and a Macbook is the best choice at the moment - its just a bit difficult to choose cause I feel its a bit of a gamble - and I would hate to regret the buy if updates suddenly appears a month later. I guess it would always be like that. Maybe a single product would due until the other ones get updated..

@Razorhog

No worries :) True, but it is just about my whole hardware budget for the year (at least for the moment) - so I'm not just going to buy a new updated Cinema Display if I've already bought the then old Cinema Display - that is, if couldn't sell it as you say. Unfortunately, I don't think Mac's are that big in Denmark yet, so it might be a bit difficult to sell - don't really know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.