Shops in the US that Sell MBP to the EU!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jasper v, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jasper v macrumors newbie

i have a question i want to buy a MBP cause my PC is end of life and i rather have MBP than a MP but i live in the netherlands(EU) and the dollar is all time low and since the prices are the same for the MBP in the netherlands for a MBP as in the US. 3500Euro($5,120) and in the US its $3250 and thats 2200Euro as you can see thats a BIG difference. so i want to get 2.6 Highres17'' 200Gb 7200RPM from the states.

Now i found a store that sells a 2.4Ghz MBP and that can ship to the Netherlands but does any of you Guys now a vew stores that might sell one to me....

Cause otherwise i have to call my cousin in Chicago to sent me one via FedEx. But thats allot more work than directly ship to the netherlands

Hope You guys can help.

and when the Wolfdale MBP sells i can sell this one in the netherlands for almost the same price i bought it ;)

2. itou macrumors regular

be wary of duties when you bring it back to the EU.

3. jasper v thread starter macrumors newbie

the trick to not pay the Import taxxes is by doing the following. Get a Un marked Box... normal cardbox does best. let the bill be packed on the inside. so the Customs cant see whats in it. and no company stickers on the outside as well. thats the way you avoid Import Taxxes ;)

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Bravo. You have outwitted the customs authorities. You're a clever man.

But - what reputable US company is going to ship a notebook valued and insured at the maximum permissible gift value in the EU?

No-one, that's who.

Your best option is a friend returning from the US. Or booking a shopping trip over there.

5. weckart macrumors 68040

Yes, because Customs will never open an unmarked box in case someone is trying to smuggle something without declaring it first. :rolleyes:

You may get away with it, you may end up with a hefty fine or confiscation of the goods.

Just hope you don't end up with a dud - dead pixels or the like. It's a long way to ship back to the US.

6. jasper v thread starter macrumors newbie

well i found a shop :D when its shipped ill tell you guys :D

2nd hand on the box will also help cause over that you also dont have to pay tax. and shipping whit fedex also is less hassle ;)

but ill see... Atleast i found a store that wants to ship and otherwise i have to get my cousin... to sent it ;)

7. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

so the store's name is?

just out of curiosity, could you keep us posted if your plan worked?

8. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

9. signatus macrumors member

signatus

Please, keep us informed. Buying :apple: in US dollars is quite cheaper than buying :apple: in Euros. :)

10. jasper v thread starter macrumors newbie

oke i placed my order and every thing is looking great. also orderd a apple keyboard for a friend of mine :D

so... but only need credit card verification ;) and thats tomorow so as soon as i get it on my doorstep ill post it From the MBP ofcourse.

Orderd a MBP 2.4Ghz 2GB 200GB(7200rpm) and Highres17'' voor 3000dollar thats 1000euro cheaper than the dutch price for the machine :D

11. signatus macrumors member

signatus

So, jasper, how did your purchase end up?

Have anyone heard about SkyBox USA? Is it reliable?

12. jasper v thread starter macrumors newbie

iam waiting on the credit card firm to confirm i have the cash to buy it. and that will be done today... and than it will be shipped if have my tracking number ill sent you a personal message whit the company that sells. ;)

13. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

Are you going to PM everyone who's expressed an interest? And why all the secrecy?

14. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

AWell

So, are you going to tell us the name of said store or does the store not want the publicity. After all what retailer wants people to know they are selling something?

15. jasper v thread starter macrumors newbie

People who have show intrest those i will PM and for the rest i dont want the shop te get Flodded By people who want to buy a mac in states to flood that store and that go like.... UMMM WILL CANCEL ALL...

but i had some trouble getting the credit True cause iam useing my dad Credit card cause i dont have one but the put the wrong on the fax so the bank didnt veriefy (lucky me cause now the dollar is at a better rate :D 1euro buys 1.47Dollar)

16. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

okay .. well please PM me with details. But something important is missing in from your story because you've posted too soon - does it get past Customs for free?

17. juanm macrumors 65816

I'm interested in knowing how everything goes as well. In November I went to NY and gt a MBP for a friend in Paris, so I'm curious about this alternative way :)

18. jasper v thread starter macrumors newbie

well if i get whit paying Customs thats something i dont know yet.... i did order a extra Keyboard for a friend of mine so they will not ship the MBP in its standart Black box. But last time i bought some thing in the US from a company i also dint have to pay. and that whas a whole exhaust pipe and header for my car...

but the damn credit card payment was already allowed by Visa for 3 days but they(Apoes (rev. Kwikiemarkt simsons) in India to aprove your credit card) dint had that info so they called my bank and they aproved it. will be shipped on sunday US time. and when i have my tracking number ill tell when it will be dropped at my doorstep.

19. Olphus macrumors newbie

20. jasper v thread starter macrumors newbie

thats the company that will ship Macs to the EU. i canceld my order. took to long and since they will update the MBP this week i thought **** IT cause it will take a nother week to get to my home any way.

21. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I don't get this thread anymore. So there's a shop in America that sells to the rest of the world ... and? It's the TVA or VAT and import duty that's the problem. Has anyone bought a computer like this and have been hammered by Customs? What was the duty and any other applicable fees?

22. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

If you do buy a laptop in the US, buy a laptop bag too, say that you brought the laptop with you. That is, if you can bear to part with the great packaging that apple products come with!

23. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

I did this a few years ago with an iBook I bought in Toronto. I took a CD with my e-mails on and loaded them onto the machine so that if I was stopped by Customs I could point to the e-mails going back a few years and say I'd had the machine a while. I sent the box and stuff back through the post (pretty cheap as it's virtually empty) and walked through customs with the iBook in a bag over my shoulder. No problems. JG271 - this is about mail order and its concomitant problems and not about shopping in person abroad.

24. jasper v thread starter macrumors newbie

if you buy a Mac in the states of course you can get VAT over the product unless its second hand (at least here in the netherlands) some times you have to pay and some times you dont... it depends if you get gaugt if you get it sent via mail.

The thread is about getting a mac from the states via the mail. The problem is that most company's dont sent them because they cant its in the agreement whit apple inc. :( but B&H does sent. its the only one that i could find to sent it.

25. signatus macrumors member

signatus