Short Action - Rooftop warriors

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, Apr 24, 2012.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

2. floh macrumors 6502

First of all: The circling around your actor in beginning came out great! How did you end up doing it? And the "guy getting thrown across the roof" also looks quite impressive.

Over all, it was pretty convincing and entertaining. I came across three things that bothered me that you can fix in post:

1. The fight sounds are not as great as the visuals. You should try to maybe do some foley (record whacking a piece of celery in a towel or similar) or try to find better. I haven't heard the fight sound yet, but this guy usually has pretty decent sounds for free. What is also missing is the sounds your actors make. They do not breathe at all and it really irritates when the woman actually makes a sound once and she does not seem out of breath at all. Put some breathing in there if you can.

2. The image is great, but a little too red (skin tone and roof tops)? Is that possible? Not sure, maybe youtube butchered the color correction.

3. While some of the fight moves are really awesome and look right out of a Jason Bourne movie (the beat down at 0:24... wow!), some others seem to slow and fake. That is very normal. And you can actually try to speed them up a little by deleting one or two single frames out of the movement. (that's "speeding up" in such a short time) It makes the motion seem much more violent.

Other than that: No complaints here. Great actors, camera work and choreography. The editing is also very convincing and I like the music.

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed this!

3. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Thanks Floh.
    A bunch of you from this forum really helped this project along. Couldn't have done it with out the MR video peeps.

4. salacious macrumors 6502a

I'm a constructive critism type of guy do dont be offended by what I'm about to say, il be brief..

Image quality was good, camera angles were good could have had a few more angles catching expressions of people being hit.

Which leads me to my last statement, the female actor was the only one who put a bit of effort in, or made it believable if u will.. The main guy just looks wedge and not much else his acting was in my opinion 3/10 it was awful I didn't see any passion, and if I was recording I would have stopped and asked him to get pumped mentally or leave.. That's what spoiled it for me, wouldn't have mattered if it was sped up or not, you can't hide bad acting

5. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Fair enough. It was my first director role and I am looking for feedback like this to get better. Thank you for the feedback.

6. DARK ECKO macrumors newbie

DARK ECKO

great job for being the first time!
    About how long did it take you to make this from idea to final product ?

7. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Short answer? A week.

Well the idea came from the desire to enter a contest being held by intel. The intel version was much shorter at 1 minute.

The main hero was supposed to represent a CPU that was fighting different video formats: SD, HD then 4K. He upgraded from Conroe to Yorkville to Sandy Bridge.

I thought of the idea then worked the main hero who was also my fight choreographer. He signed on the guys and I had just finished a shoot with the girl and signed her on.

From start to end, about a week. The last fight was the most rehearsed.

I put together he costumes with a $100 budget. I was the only camera guy and director. It was shot on two different days. About 12 hours of shooting total maybe?

It was my first piece directing more than one person. it was so stressful.

8. floh macrumors 6502

Wow, sounds quite impressive. I'm sure you learned a lot. :)

The processor and video formats idea wasn't clear to me. Maybe you should have frozen and desaturated the frame on change and typed in some text "loading sandy bridge..." or something...? Maybe even try to change the pixelation from really rough to really fine when the scenes change from SD to HD to 4K... :D

In this case, the overdone reds should really be taken down, but the hard, expressionless mimic of the actors is more appropriate. I had the feeling of a video game, that's why the acting was okay for me. It did not seem like a real live action scene (the actors not breathing or looking exhausted, just "cool"), which is probably what salacious was bothered by.

I guess you are already done with the project and just want to show the final result? If you want, next time you can show us a version before publishing and have the opportunity to actually work on some of the critique.

9. DARK ECKO macrumors newbie

DARK ECKO

Cool,
    I also agree with what FLOH said.
    also the more stuff you shoot the better prepare will be for the next one.

10. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement