Short battery life in SL, any ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Davidkoh, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Hey all!

I got the 13" MBP (2.26 Ghz model), and it was first shipped with Leopard and I ran that for 4 weeks before my $10 upgrade disc or whatever came with SL. On Leopard I had no problem getting the 7 hours of battery life while surfing, hell I even copied **** from external drives, played games, torrented, installed **** when I first got it for like 5 hours on battery and still had 20% left. So under heavy use I got alot of battery life.

My problems occured when I installed SL, now I can't even get the "estimated time" meter to go past 6 hours no matter what I do. Also just normal wifi work will give me around 4-5 hours. This is a BIG downgrade since I got better battery life doing heavy tasks on Leopard.

I did a clean install when I got the SL disc, and I have since then switched to a SSD and ofc I did a clean install on that. PRAM/SMC and all that have been reset and I just performed a calibration last night and the problem still persists. Any ideas?

// David

2. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Try running Activity Monitor to see if anything is placing a consistent heavy load on the CPU. I found that Carbonite & AntiVirus would each use 100% cpu pretty consistently. Turning them off changed my (battery) life from 2 hours to 8 ... (13" uMBP)

3. Davidkoh thread starter macrumors 65816

Except for Firefox taking 10-20% CPU theres nothing else under "All Processes", and since I ran Firefox on Leopard too it shouldn't lower the battery life.

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Firefox taking 20% cpu? That seems alot, are you by any chance running sites with alot of flash? Flash eats battery, Safari is usung approx 2% cpu power here atm, with 4 tabs open.

5. Davidkoh thread starter macrumors 65816

Nothing more then 2 forums. And as I said, since I ran Firefox doing the same things in Leopard and got longer battery life the only "different" factor is SL.

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Not really an answer but may help to see if it is firefox causing the problem. Try quitting firefox and using safari and see if the battery life it any better.

7. Davidkoh thread starter macrumors 65816

Well even with firefox closed and just in finder even the estimated time is just 6:15. And the estimate is usually too high (in Leopard it used to be 8+ hours).

Also, I'd rather use Leopard then a bad functioning browser.

I'm hoping there's some kind of fix for this problem.

8. celticpride678

Snow Leopard has been known to bring bad battery life to some notebooks. I would wait for 10.6.2 before trying to do anything.

9. vertigo78 macrumors regular

reset the smc. when i switched to snow leapard my late 2008 mbp would never go beyond 2 hours. after reseting the smc i gained back up to two hours of battery life.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...did you have your screen brightness lower in Lep vs SL?

When you did a clean install of the SL, it may have gone with higher default settings for items such as brightness vs what you were using...

Try adjusting those and let us know.

11. Davidkoh thread starter macrumors 65816

Nah, when I tested in Leopard the most extreme time I got at around 30-40%. Now I tried at 1 bar in snow leopard and it ran out quicker. Im not only talking about the "estimated time", im talking about the actual percentage decline. Before I could use it for like 3-3.5 hours before I was at 50% (with keyboard light at 2 bars and screen at 5-6 bars), now its 2-2.5 (with keyboard light off and screen at 2-3 bars) ...

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I just got a new battery for my 2007 MacBook Pro a few months ago, after my other battery died. I was getting upwards of 3 hours 20 minutes on this battery under Leopard. Under Snow Leopard, I am lucky to get an hour and a half.

13. Mhmm macrumors member

13" MBPs with the 9CC2 display panel have a much brighter display under snow leopard; this drains the battery much faster. This could be your case, check your panel model.

14. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

15. Davidkoh thread starter macrumors 65816

No idea how to do that, but it seems strange that I'd get more power drain on 1 bar on screen brightness now then when I had 6 bars before. I'll most likely just install Leopard until Apple sort out their buggy OS.

16. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you tired resetting the smc like Vertigo78 seems that Snow Leopard may have caused a problem from reading the official apple forums.

17. Davidkoh thread starter macrumors 65816

Ye, about 5 times :p