Short battery life on new iPod 16G 5th Gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kandavu, Feb 9, 2014.

1. kandavu macrumors member

kandavu

My new iPod 16g 5th gen appears to drain in about 5 to 6 hours web browsing usage.
    Can I get any tips as to how to test & log the battery consumption before attempting to returning it for an exchange.

Thanks

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Since you just got it, drain it to dead and charge to 100% a few times. Also turn off what you don't need in notification center and location services. Turn off push mail and set it to fetch every 1hr.

3. Dirtysand macrumors member

Same here, it lasts slightly longer than yours. However I have reduced brightness and it's in a pretty cold environment.

4. kandavu thread starter macrumors member

kandavu

Cool, thanks...
    I tried shutting off some services as per your suggestions and got 8 hours, 36 minutes just idling before it fully drained. I'm assuming it will drain faster running apps or viewing videos.

5. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I think you have to use it until 20% notifications few times and fully charge it to calibrate the battery.

Then it should has a proper longer life.

6. headsh0t95 macrumors regular

6 hours web browsing? That's amazing!!! Why complain about it??

7. kandavu thread starter macrumors member

kandavu

Not complaining per se....having both an ipad3 & Rmini that perform well...I was expecting better from the touch and reached out to the community for feed back.

8. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Try hold the home and power button until the apple logo comes up this is a hard reset and will hopefully fix you problems. This does not delete anything. It's just like turning it off then on but fixes problems most of the time.

9. Poril macrumors newbie

Same situation. I've reduced brightness and no desktop pictures and etc

10. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Those devices have faster processor that users power and the batteries are much bigger. They will last much longer than an iPod touch 5. I have an iPad Air and an iPod touch 5 to compare.