Short lines?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MSUSpartan, Mar 10, 2011.

1. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Shouldn't lines be moving pretty quick this year since there's no activation, picking plans, credit checks etc? I would imagine even with lengths like the lines that last all day for iPhones, Apple should be able to clear everyone out within an hour. Unless they really are doing this for the TV and news, then they'd probably train their employees to offer to set everyone up individually, which could really slow things down.

I work 10 blocks from the Fifth Ave store and will probably head over around 7pm after work, hopefully no lines by then.

2. Fisticuffs2065 macrumors member

That's what I am hoping for (the quick part). I am still going to be there early though incase a lot of people want Apples help in setting up their iPad. I just want a quick purchase along with the accessories and then I am OUT! haha!

3. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Nobody knows for sure.

I spoke to an associate in 5th Ave store yesterday. He said that they are expecting a lot of stock, and people who want to avoid the rush can pick it up on Saturday.

I don't want to risk it though. Going to Best Buy at 10am to see if there's a tiny chance the Apple-shirted rep did not lie to me, and then to Apple Store at around 3pm. Hopefully my target device (32gb WIFI, Black) won't be the best seller.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

There was no activation last year either. You are confusing w/ the iPhone launch.

But rule of thumb -- last year there was 100 in front of me and I was in and out in about an hour. Once I made it in it literally took me a minute to buy and leave.

5. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

No, not confused. Just didn't even think about the lines last year for the iPad, as people were generally unsure of the iPad last year so I would expect a bigger turn out this year. Especially true since Apple definitely wants lines based on the way they're launching it.

Good information though, hopefully no lines a couple hours after launch and still have the model I want.

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

This is an update, not initial launch. Can be completely wrong, but other than select Apple stores. I'm not thinking there will be crazy lines.

7. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

I believe in a poll in an other thread with had about 250 voters, that model was the favoured out of all 18 :p

8. MSUSpartan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thought that for the 3GS too, turned out lines were bigger than ever (at the time).

9. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

this was me last year. The iPad went on sale on a Saturday at 9am, I arrived 15 minutes before they opened (8:45am) and was number 93 in line. Once they finally opened at 9 the line actually moved pretty quickly and I was in and out and in my car by 9:20am, and home by 9:30am.

[​IMG]
    (not the best angle, I wasn't able to capture everyone in line)

The iPhone launches tend to have bigger crowds because it is easier for someone to spend $199 vs $499, and the lines tend to take longer because the phones need to be activated, people need to select their plans, sign their contract etc... for the iPad it is just:

Walk in
    Select your model
    Pay
    Out you go

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz